3-way switch observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-way switch observation

I have probably a dozen guitars with 3-way switches, and they are truly the bane of me. I would say at any one time, half of them have occasional intermittent behavior. One pickup will work, while the other pickup is barely audible. I rack the switch back and forth, and voila...it works again. If it's really bad, I might hit it with some contact cleaner and work it back and forth. Yet, the problems come back. I have replaced several already. They will fail again...eventually.

However, I am noticing a pattern. Some of my guitars sit in the closet for a while. When I pull one out, the switch is usually in the neck or bridge position. The position it was left in works, and the other position fails. This observation leads to a question: should the switch be left in the middle position when the guitar is stored? Mechanically this is the "at rest" position with the least amount of strain. Those spring steel contacts don't seem to come back 100% for me. Comments? These things are killing me.

I remember there was a thread on this some time ago, and I believe the conclusion was made that it is best to leave three way switches in the middle when you are done playing. I had this issue with my RR1 and I began leaving the switch in the middle, and haven't had any trouble since.

Comment

interesting. I'll have to try that. I never play out with my Model 2 because the pickup switching is so unreliable. It'd be great if this fixes the problem.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Maybe the ends tarnish a little when sitting for awhile .Juggling it might correct the contacts.

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com
        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

It could be corrosion on the contacts, or the spring steel arms aren't bent inward enough. I had a 3-way that was like that and I figured out it was the arms weren't bent inward toward the center enough.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            interesting. I'll have to try that. I never play out with my Model 2 because the pickup switching is so unreliable. It'd be great if this fixes the problem.
            That sounds kinda funny as a model 2 has no switches and 1 pickup. Im guessing that youve modded it some.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              That sounds kinda funny as a model 2 has no switches and 1 pickup. Im guessing that youve modded it some.
              yea, it has a single coil at the neck & a 3-way & tone added. I don't have a pic of it by itself at the moment, but here it is with some friends

Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
                I remember there was a thread on this some time ago, and I believe the conclusion was made that it is best to leave three way switches in the middle when you are done playing. I had this issue with my RR1 and I began leaving the switch in the middle, and haven't had any trouble since.
                The idea is that in the middle position, air can't corrode the contacts because both pickups are connected.

Since doing this I haven't had any issues with my SL2H; before doing this the neck pickup would almost not work at all. I've never cleaned the switch either - I got it to come clean just by using it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  The idea is that in the middle position, air can't corrode the contacts because both pickups are connected.

Since doing this I haven't had any issues with my SL2H; before doing this the neck pickup would almost not work at all. I've never cleaned the switch either - I got it to come clean just by using it.
                  Yeah looks like this does the trick for me. I started leaving mine in the middle position a week ago, and haven't had a failure since.

Comment

Working...
                  X