Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question regarding cold weather delivery

Hi all,

I have a stupid question. I will be receiving a package via FedEx in the next day or so. Inside this package will be a Gibson Les Paul Studio I recently won on eBay. Being I live in New York and right now it's pretty cold out (teens to mid 20's). When this package comes, how long should I wait to open it so as not to damage the finish. I've heard that introducing warm air to a guitar that's been in the cold for a while will be bad for the finish re:cracking of the finish. I know it's not super cold out but I was just wondering what you all have done. How long did you wait to open it? It's going to kill me not to open it right away and play it.

Thanks all and have a happy holiday!
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

If it's that cold i'd wait an hour or so just in case...

Comment

It's going to kill me to wait so long......thanks!
      Guitars:
      1988 Model 2,
      RR3
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

Yeah let it get to room temp first for sure!! Hope he loosened the string before shipment?

Stand outside for an hour and come back inside, when you start warming up, then your guitar will be done... Thats how I guage it myself.
        Kidding!
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Being I live in New York and right now it's pretty cold out (teens to mid 20's).
          Damn That's a heat wave compared to here.

Comment

People on the LPF leave their guitars out in -22 weather then bring them in quickly and place next to a heater trying to check the finish. From what I've read, they have a really hard time trying to get it to check because Gibson uses plasticers in the paint.

If you want to be safe, wait at least 24 hours, but I really don't think you have to worry. If you can get it to check, you've just increased it's value.

Comment

Depends a lot on where it's coming from, too, but then again, it'll be frozen when you get it anyway.

You will definitely want to remember to NOT touch the truss rod for at least a week. Maybe more. Give it time to adjust to your home before touching the rod.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This may sound excessive, but if I receive a guitar in the late afternoon/early evening during winter conditions, I unpack the guitar and leave it in it's case till the next morning. Don't stick it directly under a heating vent. Let it acclimate slowly.
                "POOP"

Comment

When it comes to the finicky finishes like nitro, you can't be too careful.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

If you want to be safe, wait at least 24 hours.
                    That seems to be the rule of thumb or what I have always heard. If you was in a hurry to look at it would it hurt to open it in the garage? its probably 45 or 50 F in my garage though.

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                      If you was in a hurry to look at it would it hurt to open it in the garage? its probably 45 or 50 F in my garage though.
                      My tech, who is damn fanatical about shit, says that when he receives a guitar during winter, he brings it inside, uncrates it, and waits about an hour to take it from the case. He then makes a quick inspection and then puts it back in the case. About every hour or between doobies, he opens the case and "fans" room air into the case. He then recloses the case. Repeat and rinse.
                      "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        You will definitely want to remember to NOT touch the truss rod for at least a week. Maybe more. Give it time to adjust to your home before touching the rod.
                        Best advice in the thread.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                          That seems to be the rule of thumb or what I have always heard. If you was in a hurry to look at it would it hurt to open it in the garage? its probably 45 or 50 F in my garage though.
                          That's a great idea.....thanks. This will at least give me a chance to see it and check for any damages during shipping. It would suck to wait hours and hours with anticipation only to open it up to a damaged neck or something.

To everyone else......thanks very much for the info. Happy Holidays to all!!!
                          Guitars:
                          1988 Model 2,
                          RR3
                          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                          2005 SG Special

Comment

Open it up and play it immediately.

I'm officially calling shenannigans on all this warming up/acclimating stuff.

I've routinely gone hot/cold/hot/cold with my Gibsons and have suffered no temperature related finish or neck adjustment issues.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                              Yeah let it get to room temp first for sure!! Hope he loosened the string before shipment?
                              I don't think there's really a need to loosen the strings. Some people say yes, others say no.
                              And I'd probably leave the guitar in the case for a half hour to an hour, but I'd just pop the latches first to let some of the room air get in quicker.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X