No announcement yet.

Resonating or "humming" Tremolo Spings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonating or "humming" Tremolo Spings?

I have three tremolo springs in the tremolo cavity of my 1990 USA Fusion. One or more of them resonates or "hums" very loudly when I play any C note on my guitar. It is very irritating. My brother has the same problem with his recent model year USA Soloist, only it is a different note that rings out. My guitar has the old Floyd Rose licensed Jackson JT-6 bridge, his has an OFR. We both have the metal backplate installed. Are there any tricks to stop this? Would new springs help? Is it a set-up thing? Is this problem a more common occurance with Jackson's or other FR equipped guitars? We have both owned several Fender Strats and never had this problem with any of them, though I have heard that it can happen with Fender's as well. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ricey

Try to find some rubber tubing that will fit inside of the spring, or stuff it with cotton.
    I take a cotton ball and stretch it out and shape it then stuff it into the spring w/ a 3mm allen wrench. It works fine for me.
    I'm sure there's other ways to make them stop as well.
    I think Toejam uses EMG foam folded in half between the springs and the trem cover. I havent tried that cause I dont use a trem cover, but it probably works very well.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

You can also wrap the springs lightly in a soft cloth (like an eyeglass cleaning cloth).

Anf your Fusion doesn't have the JT6, it's the JT590. The JT6 had huge screws coming out the back. The 590 has smaller screws that look like short versions of the OFR.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

+1

+1 on the foam you get when you order PuPs. I have it in all my trem cavities...

Comment

a piece of duck tape wrapped round the springs in a sort of double-8, stuck together between the springs ... crude, but effective

Comment

steve via uses toilet paper wrapped around the springs.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
              steve via uses toilet paper wrapped around the springs.
              This is an awesome idea. If you are ever stuck somewhere, have your guitar with you, and you have to go at least you have some tp for the bunghole.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
              X