Changing magnets in pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing magnets in pickups

I read on the Seymour Duncan Forum that you can take a pickup aparts and slide the magnet out and put it into another pickup to get a different sound and characteristic from that pickup.

I would like to know more about this, and if anyone has done it, could you please share how it's done, and what are some good suggestions to use as my base.
    For ex: An Alnico magnet into a pup with more windings (A pup that was originally described as a "hot" pickup", like a JB or something...)

Another ex: A Ceramic magnet into a pup with less windings. (Like a PAF or something similar)

Is it recommended that I re pot or wax the pups after the change? What are some things to look out for?
    I heard of this being done, but didn't realize it was so simple to accomplish. (atleast it appears to be...)
    Thanks alot!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

a lot of SD pickups are the same windings with different magnets.
    i.e. custom = ceramic
    custom custom = A2
    custom V = A5
    JB and a distortion are the same pickup with the jb having an A5 and the dist having a ceramic magnet.

you can change the magnet by unraping the cloth tape aound the pickup, loosening the 4 screws on the bottom, and using a pair of needle nose pliers to slide the magnet out of the side between the bobbins.
    be careful not to damage the windings or the connections.
    insert new magnet, rewrap the tape and secure the bottom scews and you're done.
    the hardest thing is actually pulling the original magnet out because the whole thing is incased in wax and ceramics chip easily.

i hear that the new Warren D. Martini pickup is just a JB with an A2 magnet.

oh... and make sure you put the new magnet in the right way or you will reverse the polarity.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Where's a good place to buy these sorts of magnets?

Comment

wymoreguitars.com is where I purchased mine.
        I've done several of these mods and the best one I have come across so far is replacing a Custom 5 alnico 5 magnet with an Alnico 8. Makes the custom 5 more punchy, more output, adds some sizzle to the top end, little more mids (as the Custom 5 is scooped), and a tighter low end. Replacing the magnet is easy just make sure you observe the proper polarity. As far as the wax is concerned you can hit it with a blow dryer to reseal the wax if needed, but I have never had to do that. Also sometime the pickup tape may need to be replaced and that can be purchased from stewmac.

Comment

Thanks for the link and the info.
          I'm almost done with the 2 generic humbuckers I was working on, so I'll know if I was successful here really soon.
          It wasnt as hard as I initially thought, and I'd like to do this some more, just to experiment, but almost all of my guitars have EMG's in them, so I'll probably never use them anyway.

I heard that the JB and the Custom have the same windings, just different magnets.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

The custom, custom custom, and custom 5 are the same windings with different magnets. The JB and Distortion are the same windings with different magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by piranhaguy2002a View Post
              The custom, custom custom, and custom 5 are the same windings with different magnets. The JB and Distortion are the same windings with different magnets.
              Ok, JB and Distortion, you are right, I must have gotten it mixed up. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

I was thinking of trying an Alnico 8 in one of my JB's.

Comment

Alnico 8 in a JB is a hit or miss, really depends on the guitar you put it in. Sounds good in a mahogany guitar with ebony board, but kind of harsh in alder/maple. An alnico 2 in a JB is a good match. If you guys want I can do a step by step instruction with photos on how to do this ( to include how to match correct magnet polarity).
                  Last edited by piranhaguy2002a; 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

OK here's a quicky on how to swap magnets in your pickups.
                    You need a flat head screwdriver, a standard phillips screwdriver, your pickup and magnet.

Carefully removed the tape around the bobbins.

Back out the 4 small screws on the base plate. DO NOT REMOVE THEM! Just back them out slightly.

Carefully move the wires out of the way to expose the magnet. Push on the screws on the bottom of the base plate to break the wax seal and to raise the bobbins.

Take a flat head screwdriver and push the magnet out just enough to expose it on the other side.

Take the new magnet and place it horizontal to the existing one. If it attracts, flip the new magnet so that it repels. Mark the edge of the new magnet that repels with a sharpie.

Slide out the existing magnet and slide in the new magnet (sharpie marked edge towards the slug side of the pickup).

Screw the base plate screws back in.

Replace pickup tape.

This part is optional as there is a ton of wax in most Duncan humbuckers. Take a blow dryer and hit the pickup with it until you just see the wax melting. Let it cool.

Wire pickup into guitar.

Comment

Notice the arrow marked on the existing magnet for which direction the repelled side goes.

Comment

That looks easier, I was stupid and took mine apart. Well mainly cause the pup I was fixing, had a broken leg on the base plate, so I guess I pretty much had to.
                        The strips on either side of the poles, are they magnets?
                        Cause one pup I have they aren't, but the other pup they are indeed magnets and they have a North and South pole to them, and it had me wondering about it...
                        Thanks
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

The strips are usually spacers. Sometimes small strips of magnets are placed in there to increase the magnet field ( I believe the Invader and Dimebucker have these extra magnetic strips).

Comment

Originally posted by piranhaguy2002a View Post
                            The strips are usually spacers. Sometimes small strips of magnets are placed in there to increase the magnet field ( I believe the Invader and Dimebucker have these extra magnetic strips).
                            Very cool thanks.
                            I was arguing with a guy over this who said they were spacers, but the one pup (Ibanez PSND) does have magnets on the sides.
                            I know that they are magnets, cause they are the same material. After he said that I had to double check...
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven

Comment

Great info here..thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X