Refret and low action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refret and low action

When is it time to refret? My Model 6 frets are looking pretty worn. I have played the snot out of this thing the 18 years i have had it. Its got wicked low action.The lowest i have ever seen.I can't even slip a fender medium pick between the fret and string without it touching. I can barely slip a piece of paper in between. i like it this way. Its like that from the first fret to the 24th. Will i lose the action with a refret?

If you have super low action and it doesn't buzz, you probably don't need a refret.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      If you have super low action and it doesn't buzz, you probably don't need a refret.
      I agree. Usually you can have them crowned/leveled to fix any problems you might have, that being buzzing due to dead spots. I'm not certain if you can level/crown a second time. I guess it all depends on how much fret wire you have left.

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Sorry to barge in but what do they do when refretting?

Do they knock out the old ones and squeeze new ones in?
        Marshall JCM800 2203
        G12K-100w Cabinet
        Jackson RR24

Comment

More or less, yeah.
          Most times, if not all, they level the fretboard, and clean the fret slots out first, then install the new frets, and crown/level/polish them.
          Probably around $150-200, but that depends on who does the work, cause it could be less, or alot more.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

If it plays fine don't do anything.If the frets have some grooves I just make sure they are level and re-crown.After the re-crown I check to make sure they are level again and then polish.Model 6's have big frets so theres lots of meat on there.
            For the above service I charge $50.00 for a complete re-fret usually $150.00 on up so metalchurch79 is in the ballpark.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I am getting some buzzing in areas that never buzzed before. I did switch from 9's to 10's but don't know if that would do it.There are some pretty deep grooves under the strings. I will just crank the action up a hair.

Comment

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
                I am getting some buzzing in areas that never buzzed before. I did switch from 9's to 10's but don't know if that would do it.There are some pretty deep grooves under the strings. I will just crank the action up a hair.
                Changing to a different string gauge will sometimes require a slight truss rod adjustment.
                By what you described (low action no prior buzz) I would say a tweak adjustment is all you really need.

JMO

Comment

Working...
                X