Best tool for Sharp fret ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tool for Sharp fret ends?

What it the best tool(probably order from stewmac if you could give me the link that would be great) to get rid of sharp fret ends? I have a new neck and the fret ends are sticking out of the side of the neck.

I've used generic small light grade files in the past but if I was going to do it again, I'd hit up Stew Mac, like you said, and just do a search. I'm sure they have the right tool for the job.

Comment

They have a block of wood that's angled on the bottom that dresses the fret ends. That's what you want.
      You could also make your own using a 4" piece of 2X4 and attach light grit sand paper on the bottom with 2 sided tape.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

This might not be acceptable to some folks, but I have always used a small sharpening stone that I have owned for more than 30 years. It is a little different than other stones I own, I bought it with a Buck knife. I put a drop or so of lemon oil on the stone and just rub it up and down the neck on the edge of the frets. It doesn't take long and works for smoothing out some of your higher frets that don't get much playing time as well. I have actually used olive oil when I was out of lemon oil, even for a dried out fretboard.

Comment

Working...
        X