Tell me how you fixed your nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me how you fixed your nuts

I have a fixed bridge guitar (RGA121 awesome guitar by the way!) that I picked up pretty cheap, but it came with 9 - 42 guage strings and I use 10 - 46. The low E and A nut slots are too tight for the new strings causing the action to be too high down low. My question is, have any of you ever fixed the situation without having proper nut files, and if so, How? I was thinking of putting say 600 grit sand paper around a 46 or 42 guage string and sanding it out a bit, then cleaning up 1000 grit.

Am I on the right track?

Or you could hold the string tightly and rub them through the slots. This accelerates the natural wear that the strings would put on the slots over time.

Or replace the nut with a real graphite nut. Most companies use plastic nuts that look like graphite nuts, but really aren't.

The Ibenhad headstock/tuners should be designed to allow a straight string path to the tuners (from what I recall of the one I had), so if it's binding in the nut, it's definitely the slots (as opposed to the angle like with a Jackson pointyhead).
    Given that, you should be fine with either sanding the slots or rubbing them out with the wound strings.

Wrapping sandpaper around the string will actually make the slot overly large, because you've increased the girth of the string by the considerable thickness of the sandpaper. Either use a thinner string as a sanding base (4th) or fold the sandpaper in half.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've found that rubbing lemon oil on my nuts is quite the sensation... Not sure it fixed anything tho...

Comment

There should be a forum, or atleast how to for that method, Cleveland

But yea you can try NewC's method, cause that will work.
        You can also take a thinner string, like a D string and put that in the middle of a piece of sand paper thats folded in 1/2 and run that through the slot.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

This is soooo tempting...
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
            This is soooo tempting...
            Rubbing Lemon Oil on CM's nuts?
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Comment

How did we fix our nuts, huh?

As NewC said, you can crazy glue a string (like a new 46) to a popsicle stick and use it as a file for the low E. Do the same for the other wound stings.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  or rubbing them out
                  I like to rub my nuts out, too.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This thread, and everyone posting in it is completely nuts.

If Billz would post here, he would be a salted.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

"Tell me how you fixed your nuts "

By laying them on a hottie's chin. yuk yuk yuk
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                        "Tell me how you fixed your nuts "

By laying them on a hottie's chin. yuk yuk yuk
                        If your nuts were on her chin, where would your dick be?
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

By shaving them. Made teabagging easier for the wife .
                          Good deals with:
                          Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

damn i was going to make a balls reference but i guess ive been beat.

but really, my nuts are fine.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X