Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people change out their licenced floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people change out their licenced floyds?

I have a DXMG. As you know it has a licnesed floyed rose trem. I see that people change them out for original floyds and what not. I'm wondering why? Mine seems to work fine.

Is there something about better (if they are indeed better?) systems that make the playability of the guitar better? Does it produce a better sound? If neither, then what inspires people to swap them out?

I'd be very willing to swap mine out of it made the guitar play better.
    Jackson DXMG Bridge - ToneZone Neck - Air Norton
    Line6 POD X3
    Boss Distortion DS-1
    Boss Loop Station RC-2
    Boss Chorus CE-5
    Peavey ValveKing 100w half stack

sometimes one will be worn out, maybe they have an extra one laying around, maybe its chrome and they want a black one or vice verse. There are people on here that do more than just change out tremolos. Some take Brand new guitars and change the necks, pickups, tuners, pick guards and everything else they can.

Q: Why did you climb that mountain?
    A: Because it was there.

Comment

Apparently a real Floyd stays in tune better. I've never had any bother with the tuning on my Jackson trem guitars.
      The only reason I want a new trem is because mine are all chrome (apart from the Concept) and I want a black one for the KE3. But I'm happy to put in a black Jackson trem, I don't need anything fancy!
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Ok so it's not necessarly because an original is going to sound better, or make the guitar play better.

Mostly the reasoning would be hobbist tinkering, staying in tune, or cosmetics?
        Line6 POD X3
        Boss Distortion DS-1
        Boss Loop Station RC-2
        Boss Chorus CE-5

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
          Q: Why did you climb that mountain?
          A: Because it was there.

Not me, I've seen to many climbers get trapped up on Mt Hood and freeze to death.
          Line6 POD X3
          Boss Distortion DS-1
          Boss Loop Station RC-2
          Boss Chorus CE-5

Comment

B

Because some are crap...e.g. JT580

Throw a real Floyd or a good copy (Schaller, Gotoh) and your sustain goes up, and the tone gets thicker, and the attack is sharper. Have done it on many Jacksons, and every time it has left a big smile on my face.

Better materials...more precise machining...more mass....all adds up.

Comment

I've been playing Floyds for years. I can tell the difference between a OFR and a LFR by the feel, sound, and response to my input. I picked up a DK2M one day and though "this is a nice guitar, but it would be better, possibly kickass good, if it had a Floyd". Bought the guitar, dropped in the Floyd, and by God, it does indeed kick some A! Some will tell you the tone and sustain are improved d/t the hardened steel baseplate. Some will tell you that there is no substitute for an OFR. It comes back to your preference. If it sounds and feels good, do it, if it doesn't make a difference you can percieve; leave it alone.
              There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

Personally, I changed out my licensed Floyds (particularly the JT580) because the fine tuners on the licensed trem felt like the threads were wobbly. When I got them in "the right spot", they seemed to jump to either side of that spot.

I don't have that trouble with an OFR, and only rarely have I encountered it with a Schaller-logoed licensed Floyd (in fact, only once).
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I bought a DK2 a couple of years ago and from the get-go the licensed Floyd had problems. The bar was loosening from day one, regardless of my efforts to fix it.
                  I just put an OFR in along with a Big Block from floydroseupgrades and it's a different world. It feels better, plays better and sounds better

Comment

Well, you all have successfully encouraged me to upgrade to a OFR.
                    Line6 POD X3
                    Boss Distortion DS-1
                    Boss Loop Station RC-2
                    Boss Chorus CE-5

Comment

I think it depends on the axe and if it's worthy of an upgrade. I wouldn't upgrade a Charvette LOL! (unless it sounded great).

Comment

be sure you can fit an ofr beforehand.

Comment

because licensed trems suck. dive bomb that thing completely, 5 times in a row and tell me it's still in tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Personally, I changed out my licensed Floyds (particularly the JT580) because the fine tuners on the licensed trem felt like the threads were wobbly. When I got them in "the right spot", they seemed to jump to either side of that spot.

I don't have that trouble with an OFR, and only rarely have I encountered it with a Schaller-logoed licensed Floyd (in fact, only once).
                            +1

Wobbly fine tuners bug the hell outta me, too.
                            I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                              because licensed trems suck. dive bomb that thing completely, 5 times in a row and tell me it's still in tune.
                              I have a 2002 Jap Charvel with the jt580lp that stays in tune forever. It is stamped "takeuchi". I have done dive bombs in a row as well as pull-ups and it works great. It doesnt have the same feel as an OFR though. I doubt that the life expectancy is as good as the OFR.

Comment

Working...
                              X