Attaching a brass nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching a brass nut

I just bought an Allparts Les Paul style brass nut that I'm planning on putting on my Rhoads project.

The neck I'm using had a regular nut that believe it or not is exactly the same width,length, and thickness as the brass nut.

So I cleaned up the nut shelf and I'm all ready to rock.
    What should I use to affix the nut to the neck?
    Some kind of glue or epoxy?
    Maybe drill the nut and the fretboard and use thin metal dowels or pins?

I know that for the most part the strings will keep the nut in place, but I dont feel comfortable with that.

(I've retro-fit a brass nut on a Fender Strat, but those necks have a slot that keeps them in place.)

So what method do you think I should use?
    Has anyone done this before?

Thanks alot guys!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Remember that you will need to remove it again someday...

With that in mind, one to 2 drops of Elmer's White Glue is your usual best bet...just enough to hold it in place...
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
      Remember that you will need to remove it again someday...

With that in mind, one to 2 drops of Elmer's White Glue is your usual best bet...just enough to hold it in place...
      Yeah very true! Thanks for the idea about the Elmer's. I wasn't sure if it would bond Brass and Rosewood good enough for that or not?

I'm using this brass nut with a Kahler that has brass rollers. It's a weird combo, I know, but I use the heavy trem springs and I'm not using it for a trem really.
      I'm only using this neck (BCRich with a reshaped Jackson style headstock) temporarily because it's all that I have for my Rhoads project, and I always wanted to hear what a brass nut would do for the tone and sustain.

I'd love to be able to find a 24 fret Jackson neck soon...

Thank you
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven

Comment

I was thinking that Superglue, or a small dab of JB Weld would work, but those were last resorts...
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
          I was thinking that Superglue, or a small dab of JB Weld would work, but those were last resorts...
          Please don't....

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
            I always wanted to hear what a brass nut would do for the tone and sustain.
            It's also very 70's as well

I'd stick to bone (fixed bridge) or graphite (floating bridge but no locking nut - locking tuners or behind the nut lock) myself.

Comment

Brass nuts are the brass nuts. Not enough brass on guitars these days!

Comment

Working...
              X