pickup sound differences in different positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup sound differences in different positions

Does anyone knows how the different pickup positions make the sound different?
    I mean take one specific pickup but it in the bridge position.. you get 1 type of sound... you take it out and put it in the neck position and you get a totally different sound.
    I think the main reason is the bridge... the metal... it really affects the sound... the closer you put the pickup to the bridge the more top end you are going to get.. but the other way you are going to get more "beef".
    And when you pick really close to the bridge you get kinda of a piezo sound.
    Are there any more reasons why the sound is different... the string tension maybe? The wiring is pretty much the same so I don't think that has anything to do with it.. or maybe it has?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I'm trying to experiment with my tele. I'm thinking of putting a humbucker in the middle position, close to the tele bridge/plate. So I'm thinking will this give me the sound which is more like a Humbucker in the bridge position or the sound which is like a humbucker in the middle position on a non-tele bridge guitar (LP, Strat etc.) ?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

The strings vibrate more the closer to the center of the string, i.e. the 12th fret.

I don't think the proximity of metal pieces (e.g. bridge) has anything to do with it.
    Scott

Comment

That and notice the difference in the sound of the strings when you pick close to the bridge and the end of the fret board compared to the bridge pickup and close to the bridge area.
      That is the string tension that changes the sound there, and that's what the pickup amplifies.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Right, it's not the bridge material, it's the oscillation of the string. The closer you are to the bridge, the higher the oscillation frequency. The further you are from the bridge, the lower the frequency. That's why even on an acoustic, picking near the neck gives a deeper tone while picking near the bridge gives a brighter tone.

The string is oscillating faster nearest the anchor points (bridge and nut), and a faster speed means higher frequency.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

yeah that makes sense... thanks guys
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

If you do locate a bridge pickup further away from the bridge, it will make it warmer. In 1999, Gibson found out that they've been putting the bridge pickup too close to the bridge compared to classic 1950s LP's (they found an old pickguard). So Historic LP made in 1999 / after 1999 (I'm not sure) have more correct pickup placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Right, it's not the bridge material, it's the oscillation of the string. The closer you are to the bridge, the higher the oscillation frequency. The further you are from the bridge, the lower the frequency. That's why even on an acoustic, picking near the neck gives a deeper tone while picking near the bridge gives a brighter tone.

The string is oscillating faster nearest the anchor points (bridge and nut), and a faster speed means higher frequency.
              Nope. The frequency is the same all along the string, otherwise you would get a completely different pitch in different positions. The amplitude of the vibration is what varies along the string, greater toward the center. That, along with other things (like which harmonic node is nearby) are what account for the different sound in different positions.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                Nope. The frequency is the same all along the string, otherwise you would get a completely different pitch in different positions. The amplitude of the vibration is what varies along the string, greater toward the center. That, along with other things (like which harmonic node is nearby) are what account for the different sound in different positions.

He's got you there.

To add to this, The neck pickup is closer to the fundemental frequency node, whereas the bridge pickup is closer to a high frequency harmonic node.

Someone call up the Timewarp show and tell them to photograph a guitar string with their high speed cameras.
                Last edited by DonP; 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post

DOH! You're right. I couldn't think of "amplitude" :dunno:
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Harmonic nodes is what its all about. Experimenting with pickup placement can be a crap shoot though as theres different zones per string per fretted note and no ideal placement imo.

One man got close...

http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/Nigel%20-%20top.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                      Harmonic nodes is what its all about. Experimenting with pickup placement can be a crap shoot though as theres different zones per string per fretted note and no ideal placement imo.

One man got close...

http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/Nigel%20-%20top.jpg
                      that is a badass guitar

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                        theres different zones per string per fretted note and no ideal placement imo.

Thank you! I've been shouted down a few times when I brought that point up in 22 fret vs. 24 fret discussions. I'll call you for backup next time.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Someone call up the Timewarp show and tell them to photograph a guitar string with their high speed cameras.
                          that show is awesome, and that would be sweet if they did. Hell, they popped a balloon, why not do a segment based off the guitar
                          Last edited by Wylde06; 12-07-2008, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X