Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup "Open Internally" what does that mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup "Open Internally" what does that mean?

I sold a pickup on ebay that I took out of a guitar just a week ago. The buyer tells with that it's bad and it's open internally according to his ohm meter. What the hell does that mean? I'm sorry I smell BS

I'm guessing he means it's got no continuity through the coils, as in a broken or shorted wire. Has he installed it and claims it doesn't work, or is he just testing it first? This is a tough one, because if he's clueless & can't wire it up right, he's still going to blame you.

edit- another thought... It's possible that he's not even checking across the right wires. For example, if it's 4 conductor humbucker, does he have the correct two wires connected to make it series? Does he even know what the color code is for the pickup?
    Last edited by dg; 12-02-2008, 07:00 PM.

Comment

some of that is going to depend on the meter he has also. I have never even thought to ohm a pickup to see how many ohms it has but I have ohmed enough of other things. I have a clamp on (amprobe-multi-meter) that will measure ohms but when i get down to the gnats ass i have to get my other Fluke VOM meter to get down really deep into "K"ohms or "M" ohms. you may go over the SD forum and ask those guys how many ohms a pick has and then ask the guy what kind of meter he has.

I smell bullshit

Comment

+1 on the BS call. Ask him to send you a photo of it wired up.

Note to self: don't sell anything on ebay. It seems like the scammers have taken over.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          What the hell does that mean?
          The buyer is saying your pickup has a coil where the thin wire is broke.

If he has the ability to check that it's open, that should mean he has an ohm meter.

Ask for two pictures, one checking the DC resistance of each coil.

Each coil has a start and finish. Look at the pictures making sure he's using the proper wire colors for each coil. Every manufacturer uses different colors.

Also make sure his meter is set up properly for the DC reading, and that it has good batteries.

Comment

OuCH! I think you are on to something. I bet he isn't using a DC meter

Comment

If it's a Duncan and he's a DiMarzio user, he's probably checking the red wires, which is primary for DiMzos but Split (thus half) for Duncans.

Or it's vice-versa - he's reading a Dimzo split wire as a Duncan primary.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A-hole won't respond to my emailed questions. He bought another pickup around the same time too so I am hoping is isn't confusing the 2. Grrrr!

Comment

A-hole won't respond to my emailed questions. He bought another pickup around the same time too so I am hoping is isn't confusing the 2. Grrrr!
                  Getting in contact with the other seller privately (IE email/IM) to see if the guy is making a similar claim would be mt advice

Comment

Sounds like he bought two, decided he prefers the other one so doesn't want yours now.
                    I've done that myself a few times in the past, but I don't rip people off who sold me the things, I just resell them on eBay.
                    Guy sounds like a prick, but then again, maybe it got damaged in the post.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

If he's not responding, he's already made his mind up that he's getting rid of the pickup, probably due to the otehr purchase. Otherwise, he'd be open to the idea that he's not checking it properly and would respond.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

He got back to me and I even called him on the other pickup. That one is going back to because the top is cracked. Mine he says is dead. He is an electrician by trade and fixs guitars on the side. We will see when I get it back.

Comment

Make sure the one he sends you back is the one you sent him. He may try to pull the old okie doke on you.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

But what does an electrician-by-trade know about pickup voltages? It's one thing to be able to tell a 480 relay from a 220 relay, but I still think he was testing the split wires, or did not have the ground wire and common (green or black on Duncan) together.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              But what does an electrician-by-trade know about pickup voltages? It's one thing to be able to tell a 480 relay from a 220 relay, but I still think he was testing the split wires, or did not have the ground wire and common (green or black on Duncan) together.
                              I agree. My bet would be that he's testing it incorrectly.
                              Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

Working...
                              X