No announcement yet.

Jt580, OFR, neck radius, and shimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jt580, OFR, neck radius, and shimming?

I'm curious, the original floyd rose are supposed to have a 10" radius, are the JT580's also a 10" radius? I know Jackson DK2M I'm looking at has a 14-16" compound radius. I like my action low and I'm wondering if I'll have problems getting the action low enough with mismatched radius's (If that's the case)? If I swap in a OFR will I have to shim it to match the 12-14" radius or will it be fine and still able to keep the action low? Maybe none of this matters and the action lowers fine without fretting out, I'm just trying to make sure I cover all my bases before purchasing one. I've been looking at the Ibanez S series as well and I'm told you need to shim the ZR trem to match the neck radius or you can't get the action real low.
    Last edited by bacon; 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM.

Bump.

This is a good question I've been wondering about this too.

Comment

you'd have to shim the saddles. but probably only slightly. allparts sells pre-made saddle shims. i swapped an OFR into guitar with a a 400mm radius neck (almost 16") and had to shim some of the saddles to get it nice.

Comment

I just did this to my DK2 over the weekend with very few issues.

Because the OFR posts were larger in diameter than the JT580 and I didn't have a drill press handy, I used the original posts.

The action was too high with the OFR so I used a small piece from a matchbook to shim the neck pocket. I also left the thin piece of metal below the saddle out as the action on the new bridge was already too high.

I'm very happy with the OFR as opposed to the JT580 and have no problems with the string action whatsover. Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

I'll agree with what's been said so far. The OFR is 10", so you need to remove the shim that comes with it if you want the action low. As Foulacy said, if you want it really low, you may have to shim the E strings up to get the closest match to your fretboard radius.

Good times!
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X