"The Basics", equipment-wise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Basics", equipment-wise

So I'm looking to start working on most of my guitars myself, at least for the "basic" stuff...or semi-basic: I already do my own soldering and that's about it, and that's only to drop in pickups- nothing more exotic.

Usually when I do my work, I go over to my wife's studio desk, lay down a towel, and get after it. Obviously not the most stable/intelligent way to do it.

I'd like to be able to do my own neck adjustments, my own intonation, my own setups. Since I have a serious GAS problem, it's getting to the point that taking them to the local shop to tell the guy "bring the action down" is getting to be an actual expense.

So what do I need to be properly, um, "set up"? What tools? I have "normal" tools (needlenose, screwdrivers of many flavors, iron, etc) but what guitar-specific stuff should I be looking for? For wiring & checking circuits?

Also, any literature you guys would suggest?

Vass

Get a Stewart MacDonald catalog.
    (Google Stew Mac).

There you will find neck cradles, leveling files, fret rockers, anything you can imagine.

Comment

I would start by purchasing any of the books on guitar repair or maintenance by Dan Erlewine (spelling?) at www.stewmac.com. Intonation, neck adjustment, etc. is very easy once you do it. The books are very well written and Dan is a legend. As for the more complicated stuff (fret levelling, crowning, replacement, etc.) he also offers other books. Definitely worth the money. Once you start working on your guitars, www.stewmac.com offers all kinds of specialty tools to obtain professional results.

I am sure someone else will suggest it, but it is good advice. Buy the cheapest piece of crap guitar you can find and experiment on it before you even adjust one screw on you Jacksons!!!

Incidentally, for most of my finish work, I use the wife's ironing board and a towel.

Comment

All you need for doing a "set-up" is a set of screwdrivers and a set of allen wrenches. For wiring things, a soldering iron, some solder, and a multimeter.

The Erlewine book mentioned above is reputed to be the premier reference on guitar maintenance. I've never read it myself; just learned by trial and error.

If you want to get into the more advanced things like fret-leveling, etc., then www.stewmac.com and a good book are your friends.

edit: oh, and you'll need a good tuner to do intonations. The things you mention are really straightforward, and a lot easier than soldering, imo.
        Last edited by Spivonious; 12-01-2008, 11:29 AM.
        Scott

Comment

The Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Earlewine is great. I bought one a few months ago and is really detailed. They have limited edition signed copies as well, and not a penny extra.

Comment

get some radius gauges, an adjustable crescent wrench, and tiny screwdrivers for volume knobs and things.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'd suggest investing in books first.
              From there, you'll learn what tools you'll actually need.

For normal maintanence on your own guitars, you shouldn't need a whole lot.

Comment

I wouldn't use wrenches for removing the nuts on tuners, pots, and jacks. I use sockets. They grip the nut better and will not mar the nut or the finish when/if they slip off a nut that has been over-beveled during the finishing process.

#1: Allen wrenches (standard and metric) for Floyds/licensed trems and truss rods.
                #2: SAE and Metric deep sockets
                #3: A ratcheting screwdriver to save your wrist (it's not always appropriate to use a cordless/electric screwdriver/drill).
                *to go with that screwdriver, you should spend some time knowing how to choose the right bit for the right screw. While a pointy-tipped Philips will go into a neck bolt head, it will also strip the walls. By the same token, a stubby Philips will not remove truss rod cover screws).
                #4: A multimeter. You don't need to go whole hog on a Fluke professional model unless you're going to troubleshoot electrical issues in an amp, or a factory, or your TV. Get the cheapy digital one for $20 from WalMart. It's good enough to read pickups, pots, and capacitors, which is all a guitarist/guitar tech needs. Digital is more accurate than the needle meters, so don't buy into the vintage analog hype.
                #5: A tuner. We'll assume you already have one, but unless you're going to open a shop or tech for a big name, skip the Peterson Strobe.
                #6: Guitar Player Guitar Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine.

While the neck stands and setup stuff at StewMac are nice, if it's not something you're going to do on a regular basis (i.e. more than 3 times a week every week of every month), I don't see how or why you would need them. Yes, you have the same quality guitar that Eric Clapton does, but do you REALLY need the same quality of workcenter his personal technician does? No.

I've changed pickups sitting in a chair with the guitar on my lap for over 20 years, and it has never let me down. I've intonated my guitars with a $20 Korg pocket tuner with no problem. I've set the action by playability and tone rather than feeler gages and business cards and not worrying about whether it's .05mm or .06mm at whatever fret.

How anal you are about that will determine your shopping list. Do you need the notched straight-edge and depth gage to check neck alignment, or are you confident in your eyes?

However, if you're going to get into fretwork, then you will definitely want something more stable than your lap, as well as something to catch the metal filings.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Some nice chunky blocks of dense foam to support the headstock when you are working with the guitar flat on its back on the desk.

Get a decent solder station, Weller, with nice fine tip. You'll need a 40w one with a spade tip for attaching earth to volume pot casings. Loads of towels for when you are soldering, cover the whole guitar up like a patient in an operating theatre - a stray spunk of solder will fuck a finish right up. Keep the tip clean (oo-er).

Get a little manual hand-drill - ever seen a drill bit bind in a headstock, resulting in the whole guitar flying round like a propellor? No, nor me, but I have it on good authority it is a pant-shitting experience. You wouldn't want to get caught round the head with it!
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the huge tool list, all of you. The book suggestion- Ordered Erlewine's book this afternoon. I also grabbed the neck rest, just because it'll make the whole ordeal easier and I can walk away from it- Newc I hear you bigtime bro, I've been ok without it but it just makes it easier to walk away if I need to. Thank you too for the suggestions on the right tools for the job- right now I'm using whatever works, but that is going to lead to tears at some point I'm sure.

RS- Cracked me up, again. And good looking out on the coverage suggestion- if I left a spot open, that's where it's going to hit, guaranteed. I got a cheap iron for now, but I'll look into the Weller.

Thanks to you all- and by all means if anyone else has suggestions, keep em comin!

Vass
                    Last edited by Vass; 12-01-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post

Get a little manual hand-drill - ever seen a drill bit bind in a headstock, resulting in the whole guitar flying round like a propellor? No, nor me, but I have it on good authority it is a pant-shitting experience. You wouldn't want to get caught round the head with it!

I think i just peed a little bit. Damn that's not a nice thought.

Agree with the Erlewine books. Man is a fucking genius.
                      For what it's worth Vass, and i'm not sure if you wanna register or not but Dan is a member over at the Les Paul Forum (http://www.lespaulforum.com).
                      He will answer questions when he has time as i am sure he is a very busy man. He also has done "lessons" like the one here....GOOOOOOOD stuff...
                      http://www.lespaulforum.com/dan2/danstuff.html

Good luck bro !
                      Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                        The Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Earlewine is great. I bought one a few months ago and is really detailed. They have limited edition signed copies as well, and not a penny extra.
                        +1 I have recommended this book on this forum for years. Stop, do not do anything until you get this book. The new edition also includes a bonus DVD featuring Dan's dry sense of humor.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

u may want to look into the little torch soldering iron, i like it alot better than electric.

Comment

+100 on the Erlewine books. Start with "How to Make Your Guitar Play Great".

check stewmac.com

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                              u may want to look into the little torch soldering iron, i like it alot better than electric.

essplain, pleeze?

I have used nothing but electrics my whole life.
                              15, 25, 40, and a megawatter pistol.
                              But never thought about those torches.

Sounds like a lot peripheral damage in the making.

Comment

Working...
                              X