Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean-up an old Charvel

Hey All-

I have a Model 3 enroute and am really unsure of the metal's condition (Floyd, screws, switch, etc) as the pics I was working from were very poor. But, I am assuming no matter how mint it is, I am going to want to pull the thing apart for a full cleaning. Just real particular about my stuff.

Since this will be my first vintage Charvel, and first Floyd-equppied guitar, I am hoping y'all can help me out.

Should I completely dismantle this thing or may I get myself in to deep? Best case, I would like to remove all screws, the Floyd, the locking nut, etc, but leave the tuners. Then, take all of the metal parts and clean them to remove grime and rust, and to prevent them from rusting further. I would also like to clean up the frets and fretboard as long as I am at it.

I have never done this before, so have no idea what tools, materials, oil, etc to use. I have also never strung and set-up a Floyd before (this is the JT-6) and will be putting new 9s on this guitar (have no idea what guage is on there now).

Should this be something I do myself, or should I pay someone else to do it? While I may be inexperienced, I am very anal about my stuff and don't want to pay someone to do a poor, incomplete job...on the other hand, I don't want to screw this up myself, either.

What do you all think?

I am in the Minneapolis metro area so if there are any JCFers from here that could do it, or know someone who could, I would appreciate hearing from you as well.

Thanks in advance!

If all you want to do is take off the Floyd and clean it as well as clean up your fretboard then this is an easy job.

Once the springs are removed from the back of the guitar, the Floyd comes right off.

If you are putting on a new gauge you will have to adjust the plate on the back of the guitar to ease or gain tension in order to keep the Floyd Rose level.

As far as cleaning the fretboard, unless it's maple, all you do is buy one of those Dunlop cleaning kits. Use the fretboard cleaner and conditioner by spraying it on and wiping away grime and stuff. Then once it's clean apply fretboard oil and let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe all excess oil off.

That's it.

Just don't take apart the floyd too much or else you're going to fuck up intonation and that you'll probably have a hard time fixing alone.

Comment

Cool...what should I use to clean the Floyd...compressed air, an oil of some kind, or ?

Comment

I have cleaned my Floyds by removing the saddles and soaking them in WD-40 for a few hours, and removing them and dry them, and wipe it down with an old t-shirt or rag
        Depending on how rusty or dirty it is, you may not have to totally dismantle it. And if you do remember to put the saddle on in their original positions so that the bridge has the correct redius. (the D and G saddles are higher than the rest, and the A and B saddles are the next highest)

You can also clean it with WD-40 and a tooth brush, or 3 in 1 oil.
        Q-tips and toothpicks work well for reaching the nooks and crannies if you decide not to tear it down completely.

When you are done, add a small dab of grease, or Chapstick, or something of a thicker consistancy, to put onto your pivot points of the Floyd Rose, and on the Floyd posts.
        It helps with decreasing friction, and the return to pitch after dives, and it also helps prevent premature wear on the knife edges.

Hope this helps you? I know everyone does things different, so there are many other methods to use, but this is what I do.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
          Cool...what should I use to clean the Floyd...compressed air, an oil of some kind, or ?
          I use a wire brush and CLP that I use for cleaning my guns.

It keeps it rust free and the coating is micro-thin so it's always there.

Make sure you lube the bladed edges.

Any metal to metal contact = must be lubed.

Comment

Working...
          X