THE MATH CHALLENGE: Radiuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE MATH CHALLENGE: Radiuses

I have an OFR and I need to match it's 10" radius to the 400mm radius of my fingerboard. 400mm is approximately 15.748", and 10" is apprx 254mm. I have 12, .007"(.178mm) floyd shims from allparts.

The challenge: How many shims do I put under each saddle?

Good luck!

I think that putting those shims under your saddle will only irritate the horse.
    Better to use a blanket under the saddle, IMO.

Did I win?

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

you won nothing.

Comment

1,2,3,3,2,1? (Wild guess and a half.)
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

well it would be opposite that, 3,2,1,1,2,3 since we are attempting to make the bridge flatter

Comment

you could try removing the saddles (keeping them in order) and moving the middle two saddles to the outsides, and the outside two to the inside, and slightly shiming the middles(which are lower now). That should flatten it out with using 54372039432 shims.
            Just a thought.

Comment

hmm thats a thought, thanks

Comment

I won the first person to be unhelpful award.

So there.

--floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                  I won the first person to be unhelpful award.

So there.

if only there were more like you the world would be a better place

Comment

I did that once, but it was on my Charvel Star which already had a flatter radius. I decided to drop the trem to the body and shim the saddles up so they wouldn't bottom out on the board. It was a trial-and-error thing, a real pain in the ass, had to remove and add saddles until I got it right! Ugggg!! Seems the saddles had little pieces of copper tape under a couple of them to get the radius right anyway. I guess it's something J/C did at the factory.
                    I'd try 2,1,0,0,1,2 and go from there.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                      if only there were more like you the world would be a better place
                      You have stumbled upon truth my good man!
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Do you have a feeler gage?
                        A good way to verify (regardless of which method you end up using) would be to fret each string at the 12th fret, and see what size feeler gage you can get between the string and the last fret.

There.

So I wasn't totally unhelpful after all.
                        --floydkramer

Comment

I just placed both the 15.748" and 10" radii in a CAD program and used the.421" (10.7mm) string spacing for a Floyd and came up with the differences for the saddles. The high and low E saddles need a theoretical shim of .0195" (.495mm). So three .007" shims will get you within .0015". For the D and B saddles you would have a difference of .013" (.33mm). So two .007" shims would do. Make sure that you place the saddles in the original order.

3 2 0 0 2 3

You also might try cutting your shims for each saddle and getting some spray adhesive from a craft store to secure them to the individual saddle. It may help during the re-assembly and during intonation.
                          Last edited by ulijdavid; 11-28-2008, 10:01 AM.

Comment

huh?
                            jackson pc-1 chameleon
                            charvel model 4
                            prs ce-24 emerald green
                            ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                            jackson rr ps 3t
                            ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                            engl thunder 50
                            ibanez rg 565
                            mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                              I just placed both the 15.748" and 10" radii in a CAD program and used the.421" (10.7mm) string spacing for a Floyd and came up with the differences for the saddles. The high and low E saddles need a theoretical shim of .0195" (.495mm). So three .007" shims will get you within .0015". For the D and B saddles you would have a difference of .013" (.33mm). So two .007" shims would do. Make sure that you place the saddles in the original order.

3 2 0 0 2 3

You also might try cutting your shims for each saddle and getting some spray adhesive from a craft store to secure them to the individual saddle. It may help during the re-assembly and during intonation.
                              great post. i missed this at the time somehow... the guitar has had one shim under the outer most saddles on each side ever since. i don't know HOW i missed this, but i will give it a go with these calculations soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X