Charvel Model neck swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model neck swap question

I've got a Charvel Mutt that I picked up about a year ago, 3-dr body with a model 1 maple neck,(you can tell it's from a model 1 from the piss poor job the previous owner did "installing" the locking nut) now I've always wanted a reversed headstock, but I love the maple neck.

I've been offered a model 7 at a fairly good price and I'm thinking of getting it to swap the necks. (I think this is a win allround as the model 7 would look better with a normal headstock IMO)

However...

will this be a straight swap? , is it easily done?,

whatever model the neck on my 3-dr came from, it would have had a trem where the model 7 is a fixed bridge is this a consideration?

I've read Newc and DonP's advice in the sticky, but it doesn't seem to cover this.

any input would be appreciated!!

As far as I can tell, from personal experience, any Jackson or Charvel Model neck will work on any Jackson or Charvel body (with the noted exception to 7-stringers and Customs, and the JTX, which had a different heel on some of them).

The only thing you'd have to worry about is fret number (22 vs 24), and bridge type.

Specifically, with the 3DR having a recessed Floyd, the neck pocket was cut so there's no neck angle. The Model 7, being non-Floyded, will be cut for neck angle in both the heel and pocket (half and half).

Locking tuners will help, but don't expect to do whammy abuse and stay in tune, or even in the nut slots.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had a problem swapping the neck from my 1A to model 4. It fit OK, but the bridge height didn't work out. Probably could have worked it, but I didn't put any time into it.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Don't kill a model 7 for that!!!!
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks Fellas!

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
          Don't kill a model 7 for that!!!!
          Oh it be dyin!!!!

Comment

hehe
            K
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

nhspike is right again! Model 7s are unique and really classy in their own right. I've only run across 3 in 40 years of guitar hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                nhspike is right again! Model 7s are unique and really classy in their own right. I've only run across 3 in 40 years of guitar hunting.
                don't worry I've seen plenty!!

The headstock on the 7 has always bugged me, a reversed pointy head stock has no business being on a telecaster with two single P/U's any more than would have on a Les Paul

I'm looking for a tele AND a reverse head stock with a maple board so this seems to fit everything in one fell swoop

don't worry , if I go through with it you'll love it!!!

Comment

Garton- brother I get where you're coming from. The next 7 I run across I'm gonna grab. Where are you from in Scotland? A bunch of my boys are skaters from Livi- some of the most rad dudes i've ever known! Me, I'm dying to go to Thurso and surf. I've surfed all over the world and that place totally intrigues me.

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                    Garton- brother I get where you're coming from. The next 7 I run across I'm gonna grab. Where are you from in Scotland? A bunch of my boys are skaters from Livi- some of the most rad dudes i've ever known! Me, I'm dying to go to Thurso and surf. I've surfed all over the world and that place totally intrigues me.

Hey cool , I live just outside of Glasgow...your a braver man than I if your planning on surfing in the North Sea, that's ball freezing temperature right there..hats off to you sir!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      I had a problem swapping the neck from my 1A to model 4. It fit OK, but the bridge height didn't work out. Probably could have worked it, but I didn't put any time into it.
                      Wasn't the 1A a non-locking nut neck? If so, then yes, you're going to have issues putting it on a Floyded body.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Wasn't the 1A a non-locking nut neck? If so, then yes, you're going to have issues putting it on a Floyded body.
                        Thats the part I'm having a problem understanding, the neck that is on my "3d-r" at the moment definitely came from a non floyed Charvel, however it holds it's tuning just fine..grated I'm not one for wild wammy abuse, however I can dive until the strings are loose and it comes back into tune ..is this due to the recess or just dumb luck?

Comment

Working...
                        X