Fretboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboards

After reading about AK47's Custom Shop which has a Birdseye Maple neck, which alot of guys stated that those woods are as strong as a Rock Maple, or similar Maple neck, it got me thinking about fretboards. Is an ebony fretboard more dense and stronger than a Rosewood?

I'm thinking about having a neckthru built and I want the neck unpainted on the rear and the neck thickness to be only 17mm @ 1st fret, just like the old Jackson Profesional bolt on necks.
    I know that most neckthru Jacksons have a thicker neck than alot of the bolt on's which I'm guessing that it's for strength.

So since I want a thinner than usual neck, I was thinking about how I could then add some strength back to the neck, and I was wondering if Ebony would be a better choice for that.

Any thoughts?
    Anyone else have a super thin neck on their C/S Jackson's?
    Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
    -Joe
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Ebony is harder & denser than rosewood, but I don't know if that would translate to more strength. Sometimes the flipside of hardness is brittleness, and more flexible materials can be stronger & more resilient. I'd choose the fretboard wood based on the tone, feel, and look you're going for, and as long as your thickness spec isn't ridiculous, you should be fine. If you're still concerned about it, there are other ways to add strength & stability to the neck, like using multi-piece laminate construction or even adding reinforcement bars.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
      Ebony is harder & denser than rosewood, but I don't know if that would translate to more strength. Sometimes the flipside of hardness is brittleness, and more flexible materials can be stronger & more resilient. I'd choose the fretboard wood based on the tone, feel, and look you're going for, and as long as your thickness spec isn't ridiculous, you should be fine. If you're still concerned about it, there are other ways to add strength & stability to the neck, like using multi-piece laminate construction or even adding reinforcement bars.
      +1
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

+2
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Viger guitars have a strip of carbon fibre to add rigidity to their necks I believe.
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

If are getting an oiled neck and are worried about stability get it qtrsawn.
            The fretboard is too thin to make any difference in stability of the neck.

Comment

Right but the fretboard would not be much thinnner than the neck itself whenit's that thin. I have a rosewood neck thats 17mm and it makes up more of the neck than what I'd thought. I would think that it would add some if any strangth.

I see what you guys mean about the brittleness of the ebony though. And yeah it will be quarter sawn for sure, so that was already on my list.
              Thanks for the input.
              Does anyone have a CS that cwas spec'd out with a real thin neck.

Another question:
              On the CS spec sheet for neck carve options, there's an option for a "KV2 speed neck" does anyone know how thin that one is?
              Would it be the same specs as a USA KV2? If so, they are much thicker than what I'd want, so what should I do there for my neck option??
              Should I put that into the 'notes'?
              Thanks!
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Working...
              X