Steel wool against grain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel wool against grain?

I've got a rosewood board with the frets on thats gunked up, and have heard talk about using 000 steel wool on fretboards. Is this a good idea, and if so, do you need to go with the grain? It seems like the gunk would come off much faster going against the grain (i.e. parallel with the frets). However, I don't want to leave fine scratches like you would get with sandpaper going against the grain. What are the best practice here?

Against the grain you would be sanding as much as cleaning. Even 0000 wool will scratch rosewood. I use a soft toothbrush and Dunlop 01 with the grain, then gently scrub the accumulated gack from the frets. Follow with a tiny bit of Dunlop 02 (or lemon oil or whatever).

Done.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

go with the grain and you will have a clean board and polished frets. you can even go lightly on the back of the neck to get the grit out.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
        Against the grain you would be sanding as much as cleaning. Even 0000 wool will scratch rosewood. I use a soft toothbrush and Dunlop 01 with the grain, then gently scrub the accumulated gack from the frets. Follow with a tiny bit of Dunlop 02 (or lemon oil or whatever).

Done.
        I do the same thing.
        Also when I buy used necks or guitars, sometimes the frets are green and discolored, so I take my dremel with a polishing wheel using low speed and some mother's mag wheel polish to shine the frets up.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

You should go with the grain. However; if you're using steel wool. Tape off the pickups so you don't get steel wool pieces stuck to them to short them out. You can also tape off the finger board on both sides of the fret if you just have to go against the grain. I've used both those meathods. Plus i use rubbing compound on the frets. It doesnt matter which way you go. If you get white spots from the rubbing compound. Just use a stiff tooth brush to get rid of it.
          Gil

Comment

I suck with a Dremel.

I use the 0000 cloth that comes with the dunlop kits for fret polishing. I've used 0000 wool - works great - but hate taping(sp?) the pickups off.
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

If a lot of funk is around the frets I use an old credit card and a razor blade and scrape away from the frets with the grain and when most of the funk is gone use 0000 steel wool with the grain again to clean off the rest and polish the frets at the same time.I would not use any liquid to try and soften the gunk it could get down in the fret slots and cause the frets to lift.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Naptha works nicely to remove the gunk as well. It does not cause the grain to raise or the frets to loosen. It evaporates fairly quickly and will not harm the finish on the neck or body. Some work with a toothbrush scrubbing and then some oil on the fret board.

Comment

I've been using bore doctor (http://www.beafifer.com/) for about 6 mos. now ,it works great at cleaning and conditioning the fretboard. I do use 0000 steel wool for polishing my frets (somewhat tedious ,but it works great ).

After reading it a few times , I'm going to try a dremel next time .Anyway good luck , how about some before and after pics - with description of how you go about it.

Cheers
                  Jay
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                  X