Cleaning the back of the guitar neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the back of the guitar neck

I have a quick question, I want to clean the back of the neck on my RR Concept. I did a search and I read that 0000 steel wool should be used. Will it work on this nastyness?

Also, the parts of the neck that aren't lacquered, would not be accessible while attached to the body. Is that normal? It doesn't appear that it was sanded off to fit.

Most necks are bare in the neck pocket area to help with resonance and better wood to wood contact, so yeah thats nermal.

Steel wool might work, I'd imagine. I usually sand my necks down to the wood though using sandpaper.
    Those marks on your neck can easily be removed with something like that steel wool or 220 grit.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Hmmm, If you have to go to 220 Grit (which you may) you will have to refinish the neck. The neck looks like old Nitro lacquer or a vintage amber tint poly. It could be done and perform nicely.
      I'd try some 0000 steel wool and some Naptha first to see if you can get the dirt out of the grain. An old tooth brush dipped in Naptha might help as well to removing the gunk out of the grain.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I like the vintage look.
        Bolt it back on and string it up quickly, before you mess it up.
        hehehe
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

I'd listen to nhspike.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I wiped the back of the neck with some naptha and then hit it up with the 0000 steel wool. It looks a little bit better.

I'll take it as it is, I also took the opportunity to polish the frets with the steel wool, use some Fret Dr. on the board and hit the headstock up with swirl remover. It looks great!

Comment

Very pretty!
              Those Concept necks play very nice!
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Should have listen to spike, the naptha made the neck blurry.
                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                X