Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the general consensus on Sperzel tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the general consensus on Sperzel tuners?

I've ordered my CS guitar with them due to a lot of praise from a few folks I know.

How is your experience with them?

They are great tuners.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have nad no problems with them, and string changes are a little faster with the locking tuners.

Comment

Considering they've been in business so long, the general consensus is that Sperzel makes great locking tuners.

Then again, if we're going by popularity, crap and roadkill are the greatest thing ever, according to the quadrillions of flies out there.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

great tuners

I shove them on any of my guitars that don't have a locking nut, easy string changes and rock solid tuning

Comment

I have Sperzels on several guitars. Never had a problem.
            "POOP"

Comment

They're pretty good tuners. Sometimes they can seize up, especially on high E strings; the locking pin inside the shaft won't move and you'll have a hard time getting the string out. They'll usually work themselves out and all will be fine, but I've actually got one laying around from a Carvin DC400 I bought off ebay some years back... the pin is stuck as far up as it can go, blocking off the hole so I can't get a string in. I've smashed it on concrete, used a hammer, WD40, but the pin still won't budge and it's useless. Carvin was nice enough to send me another one, as they'd heard of the seizing problem before, but they've never heard of one being permanently stuck and not working its way out.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They are great tuners. Once in a while you need to know the bang on the Sperzel trick but besides that.. they are outstanding.

Comment

They work great- just take a couple of string changes to get use to. I put a set on a Flying V and I noticed they changed the angle of the strings over the nut. It seemed to increase the tension of the strings a little. The next V I got, I left the stock tuners on and you could tell the difference. Excellent hardware choice for your Custom Shop!

Comment

The best out there. I just finished building 2 guitars with them. The Jeff Beck Custom Shop Strat has them as supplied by Fender. I have 2 of them. I agree with Toe on the pin lock up, but you can expect that. They are designed for .008" through .058" diameter strings, so that's a wide range to cover with the taper pin. No worries though, just back the screw out till you feel resistance. then poke the string through and the pin lock will drop away. I love the quick stringing and tuning. They are great for tuning tweakers like me
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I prefer the Planet Waves locking tuners, the string cutting mecahnism makes string changes a breeze, and the quality of the tuners is equal to Sperzels.

Comment

Great tuners. I've experienced the "pin sieze" issue before, too. Usually, a slight wrap on the top will jar it loose. Be careful not to hit too hard, and crack your headstock, though.

Schaller locking tuners are very good, too. I prefer their locking wheel over the Sperzel one, as it is wider and doesn't dig into your fingers as much. However, the Sperzels seem to have a firmer tuning mechanism with less "slack" (for lack of a better word) in it. So they're probably both just as good.

Comment

Have Sperzels on several guitars and never had a problem. Easy to re-string as well.

Comment

So much nicer than fooling with a Floyd nut.. allens and all...I have
                            them on 2 GMW's and one Carvin...love them

Comment

Love em.

Comment

Working...
                              X