Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two JB's or one Jazz n JB?

Hey.

I cant decide which pickups to buy for my KV3. Im going to replace the duncan design as soon as possible and maybe later the JT580 with a original Floyd but rite now its the pickups.

I noticed that the KV2 have JB tb-4 both in bridge and neck. I also have a Sl2h samash with a 59' and JB setup and im pretty satisfied with the sound but i want to have something different on this guitar.

So please tell me now, what to choose and why? Two JB's or one jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge?
    Whats the big difference between these configurations?

I love all kind of 80s metal, a big ratt fan, but i also love megadeth and all their tunes. Thats why im buying the KV3 in the first place, cuz both the King and Mustaine used it. Anyway, so thats a lil' explanation of the sound im after.

/Mathias, Sweden

I have a Les Paul with a JB and Jazz. I really like the way the Jazz sounds in the neck, very "PAF" but with more output. I also have a Jackson with a Duncan Dist and Jazz. I also like the way the Jazz sounds in that guitar too. I would go with the JB/Jazz. I think you'll like it.

BTW....That's my favorite type of music to play too....80's metal, and that p/u combo works for me.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Comment

For clean tones, the jazz in the neck is pure awesome. For leads it is less awesome, but still capable.

If you are a neck pickup lead player you may want to take a harder look at the JB.

I would break it down to that. For stronger clean tones, take the jazz, for stronger lead (distorted tones/higher output) then go for the JB.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by kingV View Post
        So please tell me now, what to choose and why? Two JB's or one jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge?
        The JB is one of the most inconsistent duncan pickups ever. get the duncan custom and a jazz and be glad you did. the duncan custom is the greatest bridge pickup, period. one of the high points of my recent life was having the opportunity to tell seymour himself as much.

he said thanks.

you will too.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

+1 to what Sully said. And I think the Jazz may be one of the greatest neck pickups ever!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+2 to what Sully said, except a '59 or Pearly Gates in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              The JB is one of the most inconsistent duncan pickups ever.
              Why is that?
              "POOP"

Comment

from my experience, sometimes they sound great, sometimes they sound okay, sometimes they sound awful. i had a magical one in a firebird that i had for awhile, but the other jbs i had were really hit or miss.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Don't get a JB. Go with a Duncan Custom(ceramic), Custom 5(alnico 5) or Custom Custom(alnico 2), depending on what magnet you want. I have a Custom Custom in my new KV and it sounds great.

Comment

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in here and say go with 2 Jazz's. These are really clear pups and will not mudd up on you, even when you really push it with high gain. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

From the options you stated, kingV, I'd go with the JB and Jazz. I have that pickup combo in my DK2M, and it's pretty good. I do, however, find myself preferring the Jazz over the JB, and I might find myself replacing the JB at some point in the future. I'm in no rush, though, because it's still a pretty decent pickup and my Les Paul needs a pickup swap much more urgently.

I would get two different pickups rather than two of the same thing just because it makes the guitar more versatile. If you want the Duncans, a Custom bridge and Jazz/ '59/ Pearly Gates neck seems a good plan. Most of the higher output Duncans like Distortion and Invaders seem to be a bit love-or-hate to most people, but they might be worth looking at, as you might be one of the people that loves them.

Have you checked out any other pickup companies like DiMarzio, Bill Lawrence USA or Bareknuckle?
                      I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

I must have one of the magical JB's because mine sounds killer in my SL2H and it's never coming out.

I play Ratt and Megadeth and the JB nails both. I'm finding I get a better early Lynch tone than with a Duncan Distortion.

You only live once. I say go for the pair of JB's. They are dirt cheap used, so if you don't like them, they won't hurt as much if you need to sell them.

Comment

You may like the Dave Mustaine Livewires set, it's a JB and a Jazz but in an active capacity.
                          It's what Dave uses!

Comment

If you like the JB in your soloist, then I'd stick with the same type of magnet (alnico V). Check out Seymour Duncan's sound samples page and pick the one you like the best.
                            Scott

Comment

I'm with sully on the JB's - I had a magical one... it went from my Kramer to my SG, then... I have no idea what happened to it in Pre-bay world. Man - it sounded good. Since that pickup, I've bought and sold a bunch of JB's and they just never did it for me.

Anyway - my other two favorite pickups are the Duncan Screamin' Demon and the Duncan Distortion.

I really prefer the '59 in the neck over the Jazz. The jazz is really bright to me - maybe in a darker sounding neck through Gibby-scale guit it would be better, but in a bolt on strat, I haven't liked it.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X