Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strat single coils are buzzing Big Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat single coils are buzzing Big Time!

The neck and middle single coils are buzzing when they are selected and if I manually tap them with a pick or my finger they really buzz. WTF is going on in there?!

1993 Fender Strat HSS. Japan.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Did this just start? My old Fender buzzed like an angry bee before I got got my Vintage Noiseless pickups for it. And yes, even the tapping thing.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Does this guitar have a 5-way or 3-way switch? Single coils will buzz like crazy sometimes if they are the only coil selected. With a 5-way, 2 of the positions will pair the neck and bridge coil with a reverse wound middle pickup to eliminate this buzz. Sort of creating a humbucker with the 2 coils. Also you could have a broken wire inside causing this same thing, or you could have a noisy amp or poorly grounded amp or defective guitar cable. Those noiseless strat pickups are amazing.

Comment

Sounds like normal single coils to me.

Comment

Maybe a band ground wire or something lose on the switch. Single coils will hum to some extent. Especailly with distortion.
          Gil

Comment

The buzzing (and random feedback) happens when I plug in this way:
            Guitar (any of my 3) ---> RP100 ---> amp.

No buzzing or feedback:
            Guitar ---> Morley Wah ---> RP100 ---> amp.

Weird, huh? The Morley acts as some sort of noise canceler. I'll stick with it.
            8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Working...
            X