Dimebucker VS Bill Lawrence USA 500XL - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimebucker VS Bill Lawrence USA 500XL - Review

as you guys know it, i installed a Bill Lawrence USA 500 XL on my rhoads pro. and then, i came across a used Dimebucker from a friend of mine...and after i installed it on my fusion ex, i was amazed by it... from my POV, its like Bill Lawrence on crack...well, anyway, here's the pro and cons comparing the 2

Dimebucker:
    PROs:
    very distorted sound, bites like mad, perfect for my playing style, agressive and not in control (not out of control; there's a diff ).

CON:
    very muddy clean sound...though it doesnt matter since i dont usually play on clean, 100 bucks new...

BLU 500 XL
    PROS:
    nice clean sound + fairly distorted, bites pretty hard, its a fairly general pickups for rock n roll - metal style genre, and fairly cheap (45-50 bucksish)

CONS:
    nothing really, but in this case, it doesnt bite as hard

you guys decide the conclusion
    but i'd say that both pickups are great pickups, but if i have around 50 bucks, i rather wait to get another 10 more bucks to get a used dimebucker, and i'll be very happy about it.
    Own:
    '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
    w/e catches my eyes ATM
    More '90 Professionals

I'd rather spend the $54.00 and buy the real thing from Bill and Becky Lawrence.
    Not to be confused with the inferior "Bill Lawrence USA" pickups which can be bought on ebay all day long.
    I have owned a fair amount of the Bill and Becky, Lawrence USA, and the Dimebucker, and I feel that the Bill and Becky flat out rips the other 2 up.
    Check that one out sometime, you will not be disappointed.

Nice review though, and given the two that you compared I would agree with you that the Dimebucker is better than the "Lawrence USA".
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I have the USA L-500XL in my Dinky Pro. It's decent. I wouldn't buy another one though. I think SDs are the way to go with J/C guitars.
      8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

I'm telling you guys, ya need to try one of the Bill and Becky Lawrence L500XL's They fuggin shred the rest of em!
        I just bought another one for my Rhoads project cant wait to get it.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

Alright metalchurch79, now I'm confused. So who makes the L-500XL? The guy with the Polish name dba "Bill Lawrence USA" (the one I have) or is it Bill & Becky out of Corona, CA? Which is the kick-ass one that Dime and Nuno use. I did research on the 'net before I ordered it but now I'm scratching my head...

Comment

yeah, i'm pretty confused as well, L500XL is the regular USA ones, while a search on ebay of bill & becky lawrence reveal nothing at all...
            Own:
            '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
            w/e catches my eyes ATM
            More '90 Professionals

Comment

They are rarely sold on ebay that's why you dont see them often, but keep checking and you'll find one.

The Bill Lawrence USA's have the wires in either a RED or a GREY sheath, and have thinner blades. Stay away from those!!

**Here's a tip**
              The Bill and Becky ones have 5 wires that aren't in a sheath, they are indivual and all sticking out.
              The wires are Red,White,Blue,Green,Black.
              The blades are thicker than the USA versions.
              There's usually 3 stickers on the bottom of the pickup:
              #1. Bill Lwarence's autograph
              #2. An American Flag
              #3. The model of the pickup

Here's a photo:

Keep an eye out cause they aren't on there often. Only buy this version.
              You can buy brand new ones for $54.00 at:
              http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html
              Last edited by metalchurch79; 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                Alright metalchurch79, now I'm confused. So who makes the L-500XL? The guy with the Polish name dba "Bill Lawrence USA" (the one I have) or is it Bill & Becky out of Corona, CA? Which is the kick-ass one that Dime and Nuno use. I did research on the 'net before I ordered it but now I'm scratching my head...
                They both make their own 'version' of the L500XL, but the one that I just posted the info about is the real deal.
                Bill Lawrence is the guy who makes the good ones. He was partners with a guy and I think sold his share of the company to him, and he now makes pickups using Bill's name under the "Bill Lawrence USA" moniker.

It's confusing and they both claim to be the one who made the L500XL that Dimebag used in his Dean From Hell guitar.
                Bill Lawrence himself is the guy who made Dime's pickup, which is the good one.
                In fact, the Dean Dime From Hell signature uses the Bill and Becky Lawrence L500XL. I had one from that guitar, but instead of having 5 unsheathed lead wires, there's only 3 (Black,Blue, and White(lead wire)

Like I said, I tried many, many versions of each and did alot of research and the B&B Lawrences are the real deal.
                Try em out.
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                  I'd rather spend the $54.00 and buy the real thing from Bill and Becky Lawrence.
                  Not to be confused with the inferior "Bill Lawrence USA" pickups which can be bought on ebay all day long.
                  I have owned a fair amount of the Bill and Becky, Lawrence USA, and the Dimebucker, and I feel that the Bill and Becky flat out rips the other 2 up.
                  Check that one out sometime, you will not be disappointed.

Nice review though, and given the two that you compared I would agree with you that the Dimebucker is better than the "Lawrence USA".
                  I agree.....I replaced the Bill Lawrence USA pickup in the bridge of my Washburn N4 with the real deal straight from Bill and Becky. It took a while for it to be made, but when it arrived, it totally creamed that BL USA pickup. I'm talking chunky , thick , fat , harmonic tone compared to a very harsh and brittle BL USA that was in there.

Comment

Good Grief. What's next? Seymour Duncan & Seymour Duncan USA dba "Joe Blow"?

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                      Good Grief. What's next? Seymour Duncan & Seymour Duncan USA dba "Joe Blow"?
                      LOL

Yeah, but this is nothing new, these guys have been going at it since the mid 80's
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven

Comment

Sigh. This debate is all over the internet, there's no need to start it up again...

In my experience the Bill&Becky L500XL is a more versatile than a Dimebucker, but it has an almost flat EQ to my ears, and has a "unique" sound that you may or may not like. I loved mine during my Dime fanboy phase, but then my tastes changed and I ditched 'em.

On the other hand, the Dimebucker is like a refined, EQ-ed version of the XL in my experience. Firmly carved into the chuggy metal niche, though. Despite heaps of people knocking it, it's not actually a bad pickup IMO. You just have to figure it out. The bass is surprisingly quite pulled back, and with the scooped mids and ultra-boosted highs this makes for a razor-sharp, tight metal tone.

Whatever it is, blade pickups just look freakin' cool.

Comment

How come on Bill & Becky's site there's no mention of this pick-up?

Comment

What pickup are you talking about?

Comment

The L-500XL.

Comment

Working...
                              X