Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring and Floyd Questions

Hello-

Long story short, my house was hit by lightning this past September and I lost a lot of electronic stuff...my most recent thing to bomb out was my Digitech RP150. Luckily, my Randall RG200D appears to have escaped any damage, but now I have some issues with my tone. After I lost my RP150, I of course, lost all of my personal tones...no big deal since I had a pretty good idea of what my fav was, so I went about recreating it on my replacement 150.

But to make matters worse, I broke the volume knob on my "wanna-be Charvel" Series 10. So, I took it in to get the volume pot replaced. Now, no matter what settings I have on my 150, my tone is really muddy and I was worried something was wrong with my Randall. But now, with further investigation, I think the culprit is the tone knob on the guitar. I don't have any other guitars to try out, but I do know that when I used to turn the tone knob on the guitar, it made a HUGE difference, and I always had it cranked to the bright side. Now when I turn the knob, I get no change in tone, and it would appear it is stuck on the muddy side.

I know nothing about guitar wiring, and while I can run it back to the store that swapped the volume pot out, I am hoping one of you can tell me the quick-fix here. I do know that prior to bringing the guitar in, there was a black wire dangling...there is no such dangler anymore, but I now have two wires (red and white) that are twisted together and not attached to anything. Hopefully the attached pictures help.

One other quick question...could I throw a Floyd Rose on this guitar without too much trouble? Would I have to replace the locking nut to do so? Or, am I better off leaving this guitar alone? I know it is a "cheap" Bently Series 10, but it plays better than all the $600+ Jackson's I tried at Guitar Center, believe it or not!

Thanks!

Last edited by MarkThomas; 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM.

Sounds like the tone pot is dead.
    -Rick

Comment

Shit, man, if you were going to replace the volume, i would of just replaced both tone/vol knobs. Wouldn't hurt, especially since that guitar is 20 yrs old. just copy the connections exactly like the old tone knob.
      "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Working...
      X