Direct Mounted Pickups: Routing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Mounted Pickups: Routing?

Is the routing any different for pickups that are mounted directly to the body? In other words, could I replace a direct-mounted PU with one mounted with a traditional ring without modifying the body? (Other than the 4 screw holes for the PU mounting ring, I mean.)

Thanks.

The pick up cavity is not as deep and there is no relief area for the adjustment screws in a direct rout.

Direct Mount Rout

Normal rout for P/U rings.

Comment

OK. Thanks, bro. So this isn't going to be as easy as I might've thought.

Assuming the new PU will stay at relatively the same height, could I mount one with a ring and just use shorter screws, so as not to need relief routes for the screws?

Comment

I tried to swap the pickup on my direct mount washburn. the pickup also has a rounded base compaired to the square on a normal pickup. I don't know if this is normal though. I just live with the JB it came with

Comment

If you are able to use the thicker plastic rings without interfering with the strings, you can either get shorter adjustment screws or cut the ones you have. I believe most pickup screws are #3-56 and you may ne able to get various sizes from Ace Hardware. Remember, you may want to cut the screws with them threaded into the pickup. If you just cut them, you will damage the threads and you may not be able to get them started on the pickup. An easier thing to do would be to use a 1/4 forstner bit and drill 1/4-3/8 deep where the screws go. You can see that in the picture Slash posted. If your pickup ears bottom out in the pickup cavity, you can use a larger (1/2 to 5/8) forstner bit and relieve the pickup cavity that way.

Comment

Body is painted - I would strongly prefer to not do any routing.

Comment

Working...
            X