I need to get my Amp gain channel volume pot fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to get my Amp gain channel volume pot fixed

*i already posted in the amp section but got no replies but i wasn't sure if that was teh right place to post or in here where we all usually go for that type of help*

I got a Marshall VS65r combo, the volume pot on the overdrive channel has begun POPPING and CRACKING as soon as u start turning it, now i know when guitars have this problem sometimes all it needs is a clean, but what should i do now that my amp has it?

and if it DOES need to be replaced will it be expensive?

thanks for any help

i've been using my POD X3 for the past few months but now i wanna start using my amp again lol so i wanna get it fixed asap
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

You can clean it yourself if you have a modicum of common sense (not insulting you, some people really don't have it!).

Get a tin of non-conducting electrical contact cleaner from Maplin/RS or whatever your local electronic geek shop is. You need to squirt some of the cleaner into the apertures in the offending pot whilst turning the pot vigorously. Then spunk some more in. And a little more.

You can do it with the amp switched on, so you can hear if the scratching noise diminishes, but if you are non-technical, might be best to switch it off whilst you squirt it in. (It'll take longer, but at least you wont be exposed to live parts.)

Be warned though, it's like having your first shave - once you start, you have to do it regularly, it becomes a pain in the arse!!
    If the pot needs replacing, you could do that yourself too, if you are confident with a soldering iron. At worst, it shouldn't cost much for someone else to do it - it's about half hour labour from a repairer.

BTW, have you changed the 12AX7 pre-amp valve? That might well cause popping if it is fucked. Again, you can change that yourself (turn it off first), it's not a major job.

Good luck!
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
    X