Recording Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Pickup

To go along with my recent pup search - and also kind of in line with the low output pup thread going on (didn't want to hi-jack it), would it be better to use a low output, med. ouput, or high ouput pup with guitar modeling software used for recording? In my old(er) age, I am not playing out and I am just writing and recording and I'm using Guitar Rig 3, Revalver Mk III, and a handful of freeware and was wondering if I would get best results with what powerage of pickups. Heck, I don't remember the last time I turned my amp on . . . Thanks.

I'd imagine that you could use whatever you want because of the versatility and adjustments available with pc recording.
    Are you afraid of peaking out the tracks? If so just keep an eye on your line level and you'll be ok.
    If you are happy with your guitar sound as it is, I wouldn't change it just to record.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

i tend to record with guitars that have medium output pickups. i find that in the studio LESS can be more - less gain can sound heavier, less output from a guitar can have more tone...

for instance, when i am recording rythym guitars and i am going to layer (which is VERY rare and mostly when i am playing for somebody else's project) i use a fender telecaster with SD quarter pounder pickups. then i will overdub chords using different chord voicings, or alternate tunings, to get the layers.

with MY band, ALL the rythym guitars are played with that telecaster. the lower output and less gain on the amp make for some of the heaviest sounds i have recorded. going this route allows the guitar to be MORE prominent in the mix, gives room for the bass guitar and allows the drums to sound like drums, not clicking pices of plastic.

the downside is that your technique better be spot on because you won't have the extra compression and distortion of a high output pickup.

if you have a guitar that has humbuckers, i'd still recommend medium output pickups.

when i DO need that "extra litte bit" that a true humbucker gives, i'll go for my brian moore that is loaded with SD '59 pickups. then i get a little more "crunch" and more difficult passages are easier to pull off, BUT i am NOT overloading the signal at the front of the amp. again, this gives me MORE flexibility with tone and dynamics at the amp.

hahaha, i have a lot of killer jackson's that i play live but rarely use them to record....and mine have the stock JB pickups, except my custom shop guitars which have either the SD pearly gates or the SD custom 5.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X