Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action

Can anyone tell me in 64th's or 32nd's what a good low action for the high and low E is? And at what fret do I measure this at? On a DXMG Dinky w/ .009's
    Oh yeah, and what does MOTO stand for?

Thank You Muchly........
    Last edited by Skoked; 11-07-2008, 07:14 PM.

That depends on how much relief your neck has, and the wear of your frets really. Every guitar is different, and some allow lower action than others.
    That being said, I usually begin guaging mine at the nut, then I check the relief (neck bow) and I lower it as much as possible without deadening the note too much, but I generally like a little buzz on my guitars.

I use 9-42's and 8-38's, so if you want, I can break out my feeler guages and measure for you, but like I said, that's not really a good thing to go by.

I would say just lower the bridge until you get where it doesnt buzz and kill the notes too much.
    Remember to check the relief and retune between each adjustment, because the string tension is a major factor in this process.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Action

My neck is just about perfectly straight. Should I give it some relief? I just sight it down the neck, do you measure relief another way? The guitar is brand new, I just changed the strings. I can't seem to get under 4/64 at all and I think it should be lower then that (I read on another site about 3/64 for low action) that is measuring at the 12th fret. I am measuring a little over 2/64 at the 1st fret though, that seems good. I guess what I'm asking is should I purposely relieve the neck? I know every guitar is different but what is a general low action measurement at the 12th fret?

Thanks for your response....

Comment

Well yeah then if you have it low enough to your liking and you are getting minor string buzz is ok, but if the notes are dying fast, you can take your truss rod cover off and loosen the truss rod nut.
        Remember:
        righty tighty, lefty loosey.
        Only go like 1/16th or 1/4th of a turn at first, you won't need much.
        Grab the neck at the first fret with a good grip and push on the back of the headstock lightly to allow the truss rod to relieve the neck better, cause sometimes they stick, and they will eventually slacken all at once with out notice.

Loosen = slackens (dip in the middle)
        Tighten = straighten (little to no dip)

I like a tad bit of relief in my necks not much.

press down on the Low E string at the 1st and 12th fret and use the string as your straight edge. Close one eye, and eye ball it to see where it's at and go from there.

It really is a matter of personal preference, I really can't give you any better answer than that.

Try a few things out, and remember to retune between adjustment.
        Also remember how much you turn your truss nut, so that you can put it back if it's too much.
        Only turn it a little at a time like I said.

It might take a little bit, but you can and will get it rockin'
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

Action

Thanks for the help....

Comment

Not a problem at all. If you want faster help you can call me and I'll run you through it better.
            (814)505-5763 (verizon cell phone)
            Joe
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

Working...
            X