How many springs for what guage of strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many springs for what guage of strings

Is there a general rule of thumb for how many springs to use per what guage of strings being used for floating trems? Would this be different for dive only trems? I'm currently using three springs with .10 guage strings. I've been wanting to go to .09 guage strings but wonder if I should go to two springs for this. I'm currently using the bridge floating. Thanks.

I'm not sure. I know you don't need to go to two springs for 9s, but try it anyway and tell us what the difference is.

Comment

I like 9/42 gage, and when possible, try to go with 2 springs, floating.
      Standard tuning.
      Claw has to be sucked up pretty close to the body.
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

Whatever you prefer. I always used 4 or 5 springs in my Floyded guitars, just because I prefer the stiffer feel of the Floyd that way.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i always used 4 or 5 springs in my floyded guitars, just because i prefer the stiffer feel of the floyd that way.
          beefcake!

Comment

9-42 = 3 springs. The outer 2 are straight and the middle spring is at the center of the claw and offset to the bass side on the block.
            Like this:
            | / |

8-38 = 2 springs. They are connected to the #2 and#4 positions on the claw, and the outer slots on the block.
            Like this:
            / \

That's my personal preference, like stated it all depends on trial and error and finding what works for you.
            Edit: I tune all my guitars to Eb
            Last edited by metalchurch79; 11-06-2008, 12:58 AM.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              beefcake!
              Follow your dreams. Beefcake!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well, i use 4 springs on my guitars that's on standard, and 3 springs on drop Ds (9-42 gauge). lower action w/ a bit of buzz is the way to go!
                Own:
                '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                w/e catches my eyes ATM
                More '90 Professionals

Comment

Thanks everyone. For those using three springs with 9~42 strings, how far away is your claw from the body? I am using three springs with 10~48 in a fan pattern (inner three claw hooks and outers and middle block holes) and I'm just starting to show the threads of the claw screws. Do I have the claw screwed into the body too far? I suspect that if I use three springs with 9~42 I would have to back the claw screws out rather far . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
                    Thanks everyone. For those using three springs with 9~42 strings, how far away is your claw from the body? I am using three springs with 10~48 in a fan pattern (inner three claw hooks and outers and middle block holes) and I'm just starting to show the threads of the claw screws. Do I have the claw screwed into the body too far? I suspect that if I use three springs with 9~42 I would have to back the claw screws out rather far . . .
                    If the floyd is level to the body then the claw is where it needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                      If the floyd is level to the body then the claw is where it needs to be.
                      It is. I was asking mainly due to the fact that if I keep three springs on and change down to 9~42 guage strings, I will have to back the claw screws out quite a bit to keep the bridge level with the body.

Comment

You will have to make minor adj. like that.
                        Welcome to Floatville.

Also everyone's springs might have different tension becuase of the age or diameter of them so you really can't go by that.
                        Every guitar is different and should be adjusted as such.
                        The key word: patience.
                        You'll get it man, just dont get frustrated. Remember to make small adjustments and keep mental note of how much so you can return if it's too much.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven
                        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a go and see what happens . . .

Comment

i use 5 springs regardless. nice and tight

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                              i use 5 springs regardless. nice and tight
                              Are you using it in dive only???

Comment

Working...
                              X