I set up my first floyd guitar but question bout string height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I set up my first floyd guitar but question bout string height

So for the first time instead of taking my axe to a guitar tech i finally decided to set my guitar up myself after putting new strings on (new gauge aswell).

Now its in tune perfectly, stays in tune perfectly n etc, but the height of the strings around the 1st to 3rd frets are much lower to the height around 17 onwards.

is that ok? and how do i make the strings lower around 17 onwards? its just turning the bridge poles yeah? but that'll cause fret buzz up around 1st to 3rd yeah?

thanks for any help
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Sounds like you need a neck adjustment. Just remember, a little turn goes a long way.

Comment

I got no idea how to do that, looking at it right now as my axe is in my lap the strings are really close to the frets up around 1st to 3rd n there is a lot of height at 17+

hmm i think i might take it to a tech to do that, or are there any good vids on youtube?

i been playing for 6-7 years and im really getting into being able to do all this stuff myself, i feel it makes u a more complete player, like a person whose really into cars can fix there own if it breaks down sort of thing.
      USA Jackson RR1
      Charvel Model 6
      Jackson Performer-2
      Orange Dark Terror
      EVH 5150 LBX
      Hello Senòr

Comment

There's a metal rod inside of the neck to adjust the bow of the neck. You can access this by removing the little plate cover on the headstock and then using an allen wrench to turn this metal rod. You can search online for exact instructions to do this. Once you see how it is done, you will see that it is rather easy to do. Let us know how it's going.

Comment

Sounds more like the action is just high at the bridge end. Just lower the bridge posts until the action is where you want it at.

But is it actually too high for you, or does it just look that way. Even with a low action, the strings are closer to the frets at the head end than they are at the bridge end, so they run at an angle to the neck, not parallel. If you were having troubles around the 7th to maybe the 12th or 14th fret, I would say it is in the relief of the neck. But from around the 15th fret to the end, to neck will stay flat, even with heavy adjustement on the truss rod. Since that is where your issue is, it sounds like an action issue.

Comment

If the action is too high and the neck is adjusted properly and all, the neck can be shimmed at the neck pocket to raise the lower end of the neck up a bit. This is a bit more difficult and will probably require a qualified person to do.

Can you take some measurements for us - the height of the low E string at the 1st fret, 12th fret, and again at the last fret? This will help us decide better too.

Comment

I haven't been able to measure yet, cause i got nothing to measure with!

But i un-did the locking screws so i good reset the tuning knobs on the bridge and noticed that my Low E and Low A keep going flat, could it mean i just need to tighten the bridge screw a tad under-neath the body?

and what ramifications could i get with how my strings are abit high around the 17+ frets?

i rang the guitar store a neck setup n intonation could b around $50 whilst a full setup would be about $85. If i do need to take it to a tech im thinkin about holding back for a few weeks n saving up for a new humbucker and getting that put in at the same time.

oh yeah how did u guys go about learning how to do set ups n etc? i really really wanna learn how to do all setups n etc on my guitar, its something im really into learning, would a guitar teacher do it?
              USA Jackson RR1
              Charvel Model 6
              Jackson Performer-2
              Orange Dark Terror
              EVH 5150 LBX
              Hello Senòr

Comment

Working...
              X