Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone tried an emg60 in the bridge

wonderin if anybody's tried it and what it sounded like

I haven't tried that one yet, and I'm curious as well. Dont the 60's have a warm/mellow sound? Even more tame than the '85?

I have an '85/ 18v mod in my KV3 and it sounds super sweet in there! Even better than the '81/ 18v actually.
    The '85/18v didnt sound good at all in my JEL Strat though.

I hope to hear some opinions as well, good question Dan.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I'm thinking of putting one in the bridge of a parts guitar I have, to go with Emg singles... I have always liked ceramic magnet pickups.

From EMG :

EMG-60

While the EMG-60 still features the close aperture coils loaded with ceramic magnets for the brightest attack of any of our many humbucking models, this pickup also packs plenty of output with both clarity and cut through high end. The EMG-60 is incredible for rhythm guitar as metal and extreme players have discovered. James Hetfield's signature ESP models use EMG-60's because their distinctive crunch sets any rhythm player apart in the mix of a band that pumps a lot of mid-range from the stage.

http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...&catalogid=173
      Last edited by FlyingSkull; 11-03-2008, 09:35 PM.
      "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
      Zakk Wylde

Comment

well i'm gonna try it in my dk2 once i get it. i'll let you know what i think in a week.

Comment

I love it as a neck pickup in my Dinky HX with an 85 in the bridge. It's nice and clear, bright. I think it might be too bright in the bridge, but I've never tried it there. Maybe I'll do a swap one day.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSkull View Post
            The EMG-60 is incredible for rhythm guitar as metal and extreme players have discovered. James Hetfield's signature ESP models use EMG-60's because their distinctive crunch sets any rhythm player apart in the mix of a band that pumps a lot of mid-range from the stage.
            I read that a long time ago, but has anyone ever heard James play rhythm with his neck pickup? I'm pretty sure he only uses it mainly for clean tones, and his solo in Nothing Else Matters.

Comment

If a '60 turns out to be too bright in the bridge, couldn't you just use another capasitor value to skim some of that high end off?
              I know that you can achieve similar results with passives by using either a 250k or a 500k pot.
              What pot options are available for actives other then the 25k and the 1meg?

What could be done in those respects to get rid of the brightness?
              Besides roll the tone knob down.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

thats a good idea. this is kinda what i was thinking....if i put a super bright pickup in then i will get full string sound which i can cut from with my eq then enhance it with the bbe. kinda like a sculptor.

i didnt know you could use a 1meg with active pickups. i thought they had to be 10k-50k. have you done it, how did that work out?

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                  What pot options are available for actives other then the 25k and the 1meg?
                  I didn't know 1meg could be used for actives. I do know that 100k is used on the active Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewires.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I didn't know 1meg could be used for actives. I do know that 100k is used on the active Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewires.
                    i didnt even know that the livewires used 100k. since active duncans have been brought up...have you heard/tried the duncan designed hb-105 actives?

Comment

I've never used any of the other active Duncans, but I think they still use 25k on those. I believe the Mustaines are the only ones to use the 100k. I have his Dean signature V, and one of the pots crapped out when I first got it, learned they were 100k when I had it replaced.

Comment

Yes...I preferred the EMG 60 in the bridge of my DKMGT...Sounded fuller than the 81. Plug and play with no mods. Since then I have jumped off the active band wagon but, the 60 had decent tone for what it was....EMGs are just not for me.
                        www.JerryRobison.com
                        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                          Yes...I preferred the EMG 60 in the bridge of my DKMGT...Sounded fuller than the 81. Plug and play with no mods. Since then I have jumped off the active band wagon but, the 60 had decent tone for what it was....EMGs are just not for me.
                          thats the response i was lookin for. alright. i should have mine tomorrow...i hope it sounds good in my dk2.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I read that a long time ago, but has anyone ever heard James play rhythm with his neck pickup? I'm pretty sure he only uses it mainly for clean tones, and his solo in Nothing Else Matters.
                            His signature guitars have an 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck.
                            Jeff Smeltz

Comment

Originally posted by customshopkv1 View Post
                              His signature guitars have an 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck.
                              I know that. The EMG catalog specs say he plays rhythm with the 60, though. He uses the 81 for his rhythm tone on his bridge pickup and the 60 for cleans and his solo on Nothing Else Matters on the neck pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X