JT580 saddle heights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580 saddle heights

Hello everyone. As recommended by a member on the forum in regards to my JT580 trem having a couple of lower saddles that the rest, and causing those two strings to sit much lower than the others resulting in much fret buzz - I used a couple pieces of very thin card stock for each saddle to bring them up in height to the others and fixed this problem. All is well. However, I would like to know why these two saddles were sitting lower to begin with. I mean, the trem face plate is flat to begin with and I would think that the saddles are from a mold cast of some sort and should all be the same thickness, right? So then they should all sit at the same height, right? Could the saddles not all be the same height? Would a better saddle upgrade be in mind here (or maybe just a better bridge)? Please shed some light. Thanks.

no, the saddles will not all be the same height. They are staggered in height to account for the curvation of the fretboard. The D & G strings should be highest, followed by the A & B strings with the two E strings bringing up the rear. If the order is any different, it could be that someone swapped the saddles around.

I bought a guitar that had the B & E saddles swapped about, so the string height dropped when playing the B string and jumped up again on the high E. I don't know if this was by design of the previous owner - maybe they preferred some more height on the high E - or if they were just idiots. Once I had swapped them back, I was able to get the string height down to where I like it.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

VG is correct +1 on all the info.Well said.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        no, the saddles will not all be the same height. They are staggered in height to account for the curvation of the fretboard. The D & G strings should be highest, followed by the A & B strings with the two E strings bringing up the rear. If the order is any different, it could be that someone swapped the saddles around.

I bought a guitar that had the B & E saddles swapped about, so the string height dropped when playing the B string and jumped up again on the high E. I don't know if this was by design of the previous owner - maybe they preferred some more height on the high E - or if they were just idiots. Once I had swapped them back, I was able to get the string height down to where I like it.
        Ah ha!! That has to be the culprit here. In my case, the A and B strings were sitting the lowest. They must have switched the saddles around as I did buy the guitar used. So this leads me to this question, is there a way to determing which saddle is meant to go for what string? Are there just two different sizes or three? If they were stamped on the bottom of the saddle or something like that would be nice. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

there are three different heights. I don't know about the JT580, but Schallers are labelled with a 0,1 or 2. If you sit all the saddles on a flat surface, they should curve, from low E up to D & G and back down to high E. The two highest in the middle, then the A & B strings, and the two lowest are for the E strings
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            there are three different heights. I don't know about the JT580, but Schallers are labelled with a 0,1 or 2. If you sit all the saddles on a flat surface, they should curve, from low E up to D & G and back down to high E. The two highest in the middle, then the A & B strings, and the two lowest are for the E strings
            Thanks. Ok, so then how do the bridge makers know what radius fretboard is being used? I mean, you see Floyd's on Strats with a 9.5" radius and then on Jacksons with a 12 ~ 14" radius. Do they still just use the same three sizes? I know, I know, I'm being picky here but I really want to know more about Floyd style trems seeing how I have one now. Sorry.

Comment

Most floyds are set at 10 degree radius.If you put a floyd on a guitar with a 9.5 Fender neck the 2 E strings are way too high off the fingerboard to play properly.
              Case in point Fender strat collectors will not buy the Floyd Rose model strats you can't give one away.Now if they use the 12 degree radius neck thay play fine.
              It is possible to shim the saddles if need be.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Do

Do they make proper shims vs. home-made?

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Most floyds are set at 10 degree radius.If you put a floyd on a guitar with a 9.5 Fender neck the 2 E strings are way too high off the fingerboard to play properly.
                Case in point Fender strat collectors will not buy the Floyd Rose model strats you can't give one away.Now if they use the 12 degree radius neck thay play fine.
                It is possible to shim the saddles if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
                  Do they make proper shims vs. home-made?
                  I didn't find any when I had to shim my JT580 - then again I didn't look too much. I ended up cutting small pieces from paint swatches that we had from our recent home interior upgrade. They are like a very thin card stock, thicker than paper yet thinner than cardboard.

Comment

Working...
                  X