single coil for mahogany body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single coil for mahogany body

Does anyone knows what vintage sounding low output true single coil would sound good in mahogany body. By "good" I mean like in an alder or ash body strat, I know that getting exactly that is pretty much impossible since mahogany's sound character is totally different, but I'm sure there's something which can get pretty close to what I'm looking for. I've tried plenty of good single coils but I don't know how they would sound in mahogany.

edit: I forgot to mention... it's for middle or neck position
    Last edited by Endrik; 10-31-2008, 02:53 PM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

When you say "true single coil", do you mean not stacked? i.e., Not hum-cancelling?

I could recommend a few good ones, but they're all hum-cancelling.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      When you say "true single coil", do you mean not stacked? i.e., Not hum-cancelling?

I could recommend a few good ones, but they're all hum-cancelling.
      yeah "true" means not hum-canceling

but if you know some good hum-canceling ones with classic vintage SC tone then go ahead
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Meh, I'll give it a shot anyway...

Dimarzio Area '58 (very vintage sounding - think 50s Strat)

Duncan Classic Stacked (somewhat vintage)

Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Blues (vintage sounding, but somewhat higher output, blues-style - think SRV)

Duncan Cool Rails (not very vintage at all, but cool sounding nonetheless)

Comment

I also was thinking that maybe a single coil with a metal cover (like in telecasters) would be an option, metal should give some top-end and twang?

basically I want a pickup which in Les Paul type sounding guitar would give me a great sparkling clean and funk tone and Hendrix type of lead sound

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            Duncan Cool Rails (not very vintage at all, but cool sounding nonetheless)
            It sounds really good in mahogany, but it's more like PAF sounding thing... really great for thick screaming lead sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              basically I want a pickup which in Les Paul type sounding guitar would give me a great sparkling clean and funk tone and Hendrix type of lead sound
              Ooooh. That better decribes what you're going for. In that case, I'd narrow it down to the Dimarzio VV Blues - great sounding pickup, IMHO.
              Last edited by shreddermon; 10-31-2008, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                It sounds really good in mahogany, but it's more like PAF sounding thing... really great for thick screaming lead sound.
                Totally agreed. Roll back the volume a bit, though, and it cleans up real well and gets a little brighter. Probably not what you're looking for, though.

Comment

I always like Duncan single coils over Dimarzio but that's just my taste. The Duncan Hot for Strat is a real nice one. The extra highs in that one should help with warmer tone natually associated with mahogany. Nonetheless, I would look for a single coil with extra highs.

Comment

Alnico II Pro single. I've got one in the middle position of my H/S/H Brian Moore model that's mahogany. They make two versions with flat or staggered pole pieces. http://www.seymourduncan.com/product.../stratocaster/
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ok I gotta try VV Blues, Hot and Alnico II Pro (have played it with in alder body in it was very good)

one of my very favorites is Duncan Vintage SSL-1/SSL-2... anyone tried it in mahogany? maybe it works well because it has a lot of top end?

Comment

Ask the guys at Bareknuckle pickups their opinion, hell if money is not a concern they'll probably be able to advise and make you something!
                        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Working...
                        X