Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical stripper questions

Hello everyone.

I did a search on the forum and tried to find a good way to strip the original paint off my old Jackson Kelly Std. If I'm not mistaken, the original paint on it is polyurethane or something since it is tough as hell.

The paint on the guitar is beat to hell, there are a lot of scratches, chips, and swirl marks.

I read that Klean-Strip Aircraft Remover works well, but there are aerosol cans and liquid versions. Which one should I get? Is one more effective than the other?

There is also a copper colored aerosol can/gallon that apparently works on wood. It is called Klean-Strip Premium Stripper.

I'm confused on which one to get, and I don't know if the results will be good in the end, so I'm looking for some advice.

Keep in mind I'm a noob when it comes to stripping finishes, I really like this guitar and I feel it deserves a decent paint job. (White w/Black bevels)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Kelly Professional Standard
    Randall RG75 G3

It is called Klean-Strip Premium Stripper.
    I think this is the stuff I used. I wouldn't use this stuff in a spray unless you have a mask. Even with gloves if this shit hits your skin it burns. But it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulreaper View Post
      I read that Klean-Strip Aircraft Remover works well, but there are aerosol cans and liquid versions. Which one should I get? Is one more effective than the other?
      If you are going the stripper route, I've used the Aircraft stipper with decent results, but to be honest, I would use a heatgun from Harbor Freight and a metal scrapper (lightly!) to strip it.

Takes about an hour, use a NiOSH mask as the fumes are bad either way you do it!
      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Aircraft stripper is what I have used (the non stink kind!) and it does a great job.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The heat gun method sounds interesting, but I think I'm just gonna go with the aircraft remover. I'm gonna grab a quart or two of that stuff sometime this week. I hope it works and turns out decent.

Thanks again.
          Charvel Model 6
          Jackson Kelly Professional Standard
          Randall RG75 G3

Comment

That poly will take awhile to get off. Be patient it may take take 4-5 applications. Putting the guitar in a plastic bag after applying the stripper slows the evaporation somewhat aiding the finish removal. I use a plastic scraper instead of a metal one to avoid gouging the wood. Although, the metal one is sometimes needed and can't be avoided.

The heat gun method works well too. From my experience it worked best on the top and back. You have to get the heat gun moving as to not burn the wood. It can be tricky with the heat gun on the sides and around horns if the guitar has horns.

Also, if you use stripper, get the body cleaned up and use some naptha as a "final" degreaser. Let the body air out for a day before any finish is applied. This makes sure any solvents have "flashed off" before the new finish goes on.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Great advice regarding the caution using the stripper. I personally avoid the chemical route. Too much mess and not all that effective on the Polyester finishes. Also, watch the stripper around the binding. I have found the cabinet scraper and heat the more user friendly method.
              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Mikes right about the chemical strippers and binding just be careful.Heat gun works great too.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X