Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Blackouts

I've been told SD BO's don't compress/normalise the output/sound like EMG's do. Is this correct?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Dunno, but I have a set in my RR3 and they're fuckin' great.

That said, I'd stick with passives in almost every case. The RR3 I put them in was dead to every pup I tried. The Blackouts made it sound good.
    I'd prefer an Alnico II Pro or JB normally.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Its true they don't, i have been a long time EMG user and recently tried the blackouts. They dont compress as much , they do have more bottom end than the 81,far better clean tones aswell and they are def quieter than EMG's . Despite all these pros about the blackouts, i couldn't dial in the tone that i liked with them, EMGs have that compressed stale sound which to some isn't their thing, but to me and many others its that stale compressed sound that give EMGs their sound.

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
        Its true they don't, i have been a long time EMG user and recently tried the blackouts. They dont compress as much , they do have more bottom end than the 81,far better clean tones aswell and they are def quieter than EMG's . Despite all these pros about the blackouts, i couldn't dial in the tone that i liked with them, EMGs have that compressed stale sound which to some isn't their thing, but to me and many others its that stale compressed sound that give EMGs their sound.
        Oh frak. Other than normalisation/compression, I couldn't really notice much difference between EMG's and SD Invaders. Might just go for the SD Distortions instead.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

If you have a guitar with EMG's already the blackouts have the same 3 pin connector so it's REALLY easy to swap one in to try it out. Just leave the lead wires uncut and if you don't like it and you have a good relationship with the shop, return it.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            Oh frak. Other than normalisation/compression, I couldn't really notice much difference between EMG's and SD Invaders. Might just go for the SD Distortions instead.
            maybe not now but down the road you'll regret going with the SD Distortion.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I didn't know you could do a direct swap b/w EMG's and Blackouts...are Blackouts 18vt?

Comment

9 vt

Comment

I imagine they can be wired 18v just like EMG's can. I'm happy with just 9v.

I would like to walk into a shop where they have all the pickup models I'm interested in, in stock, with someone there to do the pickup swapping. When I'd found the set I liked from the test, I could slap my cash on the counter, walking away with my guitar and new pups installed.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by axehunter View Post
                    I didn't know you could do a direct swap b/w EMG's and Blackouts...are Blackouts 18vt?
                    The Blackouts are specced for 9v. I have seen quotes from the S-D forums from employees that they will run at 18V but that there is no benefit from doing so.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I would like to walk into a shop where they have all the pickup models I'm interested in, in stock, with someone there to do the pickup swapping. When I'd found the set I liked from the test, I could slap my cash on the counter, walking away with my guitar and new pups installed.
                      Amen, brother! I also wish I could bring my guitar and pedals with me every time I go try out an amp to see how it sounds with my gear!

Comment

Just noticed SD have released a second version. Has anyone here compared both versions? Which was better and why?
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

T

The SD AHB-2's aren't new or upgraded versions of the BO's most people have experience with. They're actually an upgraded and improved version of the Livewire Heavy Metal PuPs.

I've not heard any feedback on the AHB-2s...

Just noticed SD have released a second version. Has anyone here compared both versions? Which was better and why?

Comment

You'd hear feedback if you turned the volume knob up a little

Yeah AHB1's are blackouts, the duncan emgs, and the ahb2s are balanced input livewires at a guess. Those things with massive output

Comment

Working...
                            X