String changes an' that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String changes an' that...

How often are you gigging and non gigging people changing your strings? Before I was in a gigging band, I'd change strings on my main player once a month. Since I've been regularly gigging, I'm changing strings on my main guitar (2005 San Dimas re-issue) after 2 gigs and one rehearsal; 6 hours playing in total.

This is costing me a fortune, aside from my main guitar I take my Soloist which is tuned down a step and its strings replaced every 4 gigs, and the back up to my Charvel, another Charvel, its strings replaced every 4 gigs.

I worked out that in the past 12 months I've spent approx £250 ($500) on strings...

Sounds like youre going way overboard changing them. I usually only change my strings right when unwounds start to tarnish. If you wipe down the strings after you play, youll extend the life of them. Basically, go by feel... if they still feel good, then no need to change them.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I do wipe them down after playing, but it's like I can't trust them beyond 6 hours. I use D'Addario EXL110's and my guitars have Floyds. I usually snap either the D or the A at rehearsal, so have to wind some excess off the machine head until I get home and do a full string change.

Comment

I play guitar probably 2 hours per day. I have band practice once per week for an hour and a half, and we play a show about once or twice per month.

I change strings about every 6 to 8 weeks I'd say. I don't know, ever since I got a guitar with an ebony fret board everything just feels smooth all the time. Never sticky. I do use string cleaner every so often, but mostly only in the summer for when you get all sweaty.

Ever touch the oily parts of your face (nose, forehead) with your fingertips then rip fast tunes on the guitar? Try that, seriously.

Interesting to hear about the string breaking thing. I guess I have sweet luck with this too. I've broken a string only once since I've gotten my Floyded guitar, and I got it over 2 years ago. I just assumed that since the bridge is floating, you can dig in for huge bends but it's not as harsh on the string because the Floyd gives in a little too.

DON'T use Ernie Balls. That's my only advice

Comment

I use EB 9-42s, and I pretty much never snap strings. While gigging once or twice weekly, and practice on top of that, over a 2 month period for the covers band I joined briefly I did not change strings once

Comment

I don't usually change strings unless I break them. And my guitars get a lot of play. I do feel after 8 months, they do need changing now. Having said that, the ebony boards need a thorough clean
            Last edited by wilkinsi; 10-18-2008, 04:51 AM.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Ive used DiAddario 9-42 XL since the beginning... I havent broken a string in years while playing, and sometimes I play pretty hard. Depending on where the break is, theres usually something causing it other that your playing. If its popping right around the saddle, its usually a sharp point on the saddle... if its breaking somewhere on the fretboard, dull frets could be the culprit. Yes, dull frets! The duller the fret, the more friction is created between it and the string... will not only slow your playing down but will physically wear away at the string depending on how hard you play.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Change them when they don't feel smooth, or sound dead, or don't stretch.

Good rule.

Depends on how clean you keep them, how often you play that guitar, many factors.

Edit: One more thing, and this is just my opinion... try GHS boomers... they last longer, sound better than most others I've tried in the past 25 or so years.
                Last edited by nhspike; 10-18-2008, 09:10 AM.
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Every couple months, and I play almost daily. I have 6 guitars though and I rotate them a lot.

Comment

Try using GHS Fastfret, maybe it'll help.
                    I've had the same set on my SL3 since I bought it - almost a year ago! Still staying in tune!
                    Normally I change them about once every couple of months or so.

Also try using Ernie Balls, maybe they'll last longer.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I rotate between ten guitars for gigging, recording and practicing, so I don't go through strings very quickly. Even when I had far fewer guitars, I wouldn't change them often, as I prefer my strings to lose that "fresh" tone before recording. Most of my strings have been on for at least a year, and some even longer.
                      sigpic

Comment

i play for at least half an hour everyday, plus 2 hrs of band practice. me + mates go gigging at least every other week. And dude, you're spending wayy too much money on strings...just restring it when it feels uncomfortable anymore or when it breaks. also, always have a set of xtra string around. my fusion ex strings is about new, just restrung it a last week after it breaks after gigging (after the last song!!!), and the old string was 8 months old. my Rhoads pro's string is about brand new since i just got it, and restrung it immidietly since its pretty rusty + sharp. and as for soloist xl, i dont really know since i got her today . but in anycase, rechanging strings isnt very important, just do it whenever the strings is sharp/uncomfortable, or when it breaks/snap.
                        Own:
                        '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
                        w/e catches my eyes ATM
                        More '90 Professionals

Comment

if you're snapping low strings you probably have a burr on the saddle.

Comment

Working...
                          X