Good sounding bedroom level tube amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good sounding bedroom level tube amps

Does anyone have any recommendations of a high powered tube amp that sounds good at bedroom levels as well as high levels? I'm always looking for something new and would like to get killer sounds without a pedal in front of the amp or an attenuator between the amp and speakers.

Of the amps I owned that sound good low and high are....

Randall RM100/RM50 - Master volume works great
    Dual Rec Solo - Screams at whisper level as well as high
    Carvin V3 - Sounds very good low and high

Needs to be loud to sound good...

Laney Pro-Tube - sounds great loud, very fizzy at bedroom
    Caliber 50+/Studio 22 - Sounds great loud, fizzy low, need a push for more gainy metal

the mesa 5:25 is great amp
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I finally gave up on that and bought a Voodoo 10W Combo. Between the Witchdoctor and Vrock, I think they will cover everything. There are alot of amps with power scaling and such out there, but youre gonna pay for it. You could always ask Trace at Voodoo about the dual channel heads they sell. I am not sure about the low volume on the higher watt heads. At this point in my life a 100watt head and cab are just going to eat up room that I dont have.
      Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

DSL100 1/2 stack. I have a big bedroom

Comment

Originally posted by Super_shredder View Post
          the mesa 5:25 is great amp

Gets my vote!

Comment

The SLO100 sounds great at low volumes.

Comment

the mesa mark IV has been THE best sounding high-powered tube amp that sounds GREAT at low volumes that i have ever owned. the sucker was AWESOME at normal "talking" levels.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Well...the GT-10 must be doing a good job of being a volume pedal...cause my VHT sounds great, at lower bedroom levels... but
                (this is where you guys always know best) Is that when i do turn it
                up, to loud in my bedroom...it's amazing sounding! Certainly 100% better.
                But having the 40watt switch on the 2/90/2 stereo amp, is probably
                whats helping... Nice to have that option.. I do get tons of low end,
                even at low volume.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  The SLO100 sounds great at low volumes.
                  *** Why do i always hear that the SLO is a beast, that has to be
                  turned up to 6 to be able to deliver its payload? Really? It's managible at bedroom volume?

Comment

I second the Mark IV as being good at low volumes.

I wonder about the Bogner XTC, it seems to have a power amp similar to the Mark IV where you can bring it down from 100+ watts to 25?

Comment

The Fender '65 Princeton Reverb or the Reissue. I've had my reissue for a couple of months now and can't stop playing through it. It will also take pedals well. It is perfect for bedroom volumes. It's clean up to 4 on the volume, then the tube distortion kicks in. I'm going to retube mine with NOS tubes and set the bias to get more headroom before she breaks up. Just a killer little amp!
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                        *** Why do i always hear that the SLO is a beast, that has to be
                        turned up to 6 to be able to deliver its payload? Really? It's managible at bedroom volume?
                        Yep, that's where mine is right next to my Princeton Reverb Reissue. The SLO is for before midnight and the Princeton is for after 12AM
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

At bedroom levels, its all about the preamp. If the preamp section has enough gain on tap..you're good to go. There's countless amps great for this from very inexpesive old solid state Randalls, Peavey, Crate, Ampeg, Marshall, Line 6, to Uberschalls...pick your poison. The choices are endless.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Chappell October series. www.chappellamps.com

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              At bedroom levels, its all about the preamp. If the preamp section has enough gain on tap..you're good to go. There's countless amps great for this from very inexpesive old solid state Randalls, Peavey, Crate, Ampeg, Marshall, Line 6, to Uberschalls...pick your poison. The choices are endless.

The voice of clarity. Bill is 100% correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X