Kahler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler question

Hey guys, I have a Kahler flyer that I just finished refurbishing for my left handed Rhoads project. Anyway the original springs were stretched and pretty much thrashed to hell.
    I bought used springs from a guy on ebay. They were off of a Kahler Flyer as well, but they are much thicker than the ones that were on it. And they are much stiffer, even though they are in better overall condition, I can tell that they will offer more resistance.
    I'm wondering if they are going to be too stiff, cause i'm planning on stringing my Rhoads with D'Addario 8-38's tuned 1/2 step down to Eb.

Were there 2 different spring sizes available for the Flyers and Pro's?
    My Flyer was from an Aria ProII ZZ Bladerunner, and the springs I got were off of a BC Rich Mockingbird, I doubt there is a difference as to what they came off of is there?
    They might have been an "upgrade" by a former owner of the BCRich?

Any thoughts on this?
    Which size springs would you guys recommend I use for the 8's in Eb?
    Thank you,
    Joe
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

I used to use 8's on my model 6 and it has the big springs on it. You should be fine. I believe there is a way to adjust the tension. It was in one of the stickys in the tech section I think.

Comment

Ok, that makes sense to me. I was thinking that, but I'm only in the mock up stage of my build, so I didnt actually have it strung up yet. If you are running a similar setup then I should be ok as well
      I will do a search and check it out though.
      Thanks Rich#6
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven

Comment

Kahler springs come in regular or heavy tension. Both work with any of their cam systems, but they just give a different feel. Sounds like the used ones you got were the heavy ones. If you prefer the regular tension springs, you can get them here:

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Part_Pages/8412.htm
        Last edited by dg; 10-15-2008, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
          I'm wondering if they are going to be too stiff, cause i'm planning on stringing my Rhoads with D'Addario 8-38's tuned 1/2 step down to Eb.
          I'd say yes because of what you are using. I have light springs on a Pro and bought heavy springs just to check out the difference. The guitar is still waiting for a paint job so I can't comment on the difference in feel yet.

Comment

Thanks guys!
            I did a search on the Kahler/spring topic and I saw that someone posted about using Kahler Bass springs for a stiffer feel. But that's the opposite of what I'm looking for.
            I wonder if the heavier springs offered are in fact bass springs?
            I guess I'll just have to string it up and see, then I'll check that link DG.
            Just hopin that someone had a similar experience that I could draw from before I got started.
            I usually like to have all of my parts ready before I start building, but sometimes it doesn't work as planned.
            As simple as guitars are, there's always that one thing that lets ya hangin'!

Thanks again, much appreciated!
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

I saw that one guys 'blocked' his Kahler by inserting a deep well 7/16" socket under it. That would solve my problem so to speak, but I'm not really looking to go that direction.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                i'm planning on stringing my Rhoads with D'Addario 8-38's tuned 1/2 step down to Eb.
                I always thought 9s were like spiderwebs for standard tuning. I can't imagine using 8s and tuning down a half-step! You need to hit the gym or something. :ROTF:
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 Toe

Comment

Nah!! I have 2 guitars like that,(my JEL, and the DK2) and I have my KV's strung w/ 9-42's in Eb, which I guess are light also.
                    I have 12-58's on another KV in C#, but they are overkill, and I hardly play it anymore.

I play so much faster on light guages and I like a squishy feel on my guitars.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven

Comment

Here's the Rhoads by the way:

This was before I refurbed the Kahler, and the neck is only for mock up.
                      Still quite a bit more work needs to be done yet.
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven

Comment

I always used the heavy kits in my Kahlers with 9's.Nice solid feel.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

There should be an Allen adjustment for that, right on top of the unit, to compensate for the the springs and strings. Yeah, you may have a stiffer feel, but that adjustment will allow you to balance out the Kahler. You can actually see the unit move forward or backward as you turn the adjustment screw.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                            There should be an Allen adjustment for that, right on top of the unit, to compensate for the the springs and strings. Yeah, you may have a stiffer feel, but that adjustment will allow you to balance out the Kahler. You can actually see the unit move forward or backward as you turn the adjustment screw.
                            I will check that out, thanks.
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven

Comment

Good luck.

Altoona, huh? Is the place, Aldo's, still there?
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X