Sperzels instead of locking nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sperzels instead of locking nut?

If you didn't want to use a kahler locking nut, would locking tuners serve the same function or is it the nut itself that is the hangup? Just wondered if anyone has gone this route and if it works. Thanks!
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Yes, it helps. But it's not going to give you the same tuning stability as a locking nut.

Comment

In theory, locking tuners would be the same as a locking nut, but in practice it just isn't the same. A locking nut offers more stability than using locking tuning pegs with a trem in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Shred View Post
        In theory, locking tuners would be the same as a locking nut, but in practice it just isn't the same. A locking nut offers more stability than using locking tuning pegs with a trem in my experience.
        Yeah, that's what I figured. There is still the potential for binding behind the nut, especially with the 6 in-line pointy headstock that we all love so much. Thanks for the responses.
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I've found that pre-stretching your strings can help with tuning stability immensely when using locking tuners. Of course, the quality, condition, and type of nut you're using will also have a large part to play as to whether or not you can whammy like you've got a locking nut on your guitar. Most important of all is the kind of string pull you have on your headstock- the straighter the strings pull from your nut to the tuning pegs, the better.

With that said, I've got a Godin G-Series guitar with a Shaller non-locking trem and locking tuners- the thing VERY rarely goes out of tune, even when doing the insane whammy. It's almost as good as using a Floyd-equipped guitar with locking nut, in fact.

Comment

That's right, if you have a phenolic nut that is graphite lubed and use Sperzels you will never go out of tune, 6 inline headstock or not. Carvin USA is doing many guitars like this and they are remarkable. I just acquired a DC400 with a "V" 3X3 headstock equipped with Sperzels and a Floyd but no locking nut. You cannot put it out of tune, seriously.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
            X