Guitar Resonating Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Resonating Q's

Well I have searched and searched and really couldnt find a straight answer. I had back in the day a Yamaha RGX110 and it apparently was made out of Basswood. When I struck a Chord she resonated,and when downtuned(Back then in the late 80's a "D" was low) she really rang. I remember people thought the guitar was a toy,because it was soooo light,,almost like Plastic. A few years ago,I was messing around with the 110,put a S/D Invader PU and boy did she wail,and that body resonated when I tuned it even lower than a "D",.NOW to the ordeal,WHY is My Charvel ALOT heavier in weight??? That Yamaha barley weighed a 6 Pack of empty Pop cans when this Charvel is like a Les Paul to it?? They are both Basswood,1 Pickup setups? Which one is more sutible for downtuning,,err you know what I mean? The resonating or the Non Resonating body? My Charvel doesnt resonate like the Yamaha did.I put my ear up to the guitar body not plugged in,struck a chord,and the Yamaha had more attack, resonated harder,and was louder than the Charvel.Is it different grades of Basswood?
    HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
    Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
    (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
    Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
    Boss TU-2
    2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
    1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
    1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

I find that a bridge has an effect on things. My floyed guitars sound (unplugged) dead to my vintage trems or my string thrus.
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Every piece of wood is different. Sounds like the Yamaha had a really light - possibly cheap - piece of basswood. I find that guitars like that often resonate really well when played unplugged/acoustically. I suspect that lighter pieces of wood are less dense / have more (microscopic) holes in them. This vibrates really well.

...But it also means a less strong/stable body over the years. So you might later get things like bridge screws pulling out, especially on Floyd'd guitars.

And, in the final analysis, good unplugged tone doesn't necessarily equal good amp'd-up tone. Sure, these things are somewhat related to each other. But it's not a cause and effect relationship - one does not cause the other.

The key is to find balance between your needs & preferences. Tone, stability, reliability, etc. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

Comment

Intuition says it's less about the body weight and more about the vibrational efficiency (i.e. lack of damping)...the two factors are somewhat connected (and the particular resonance frequencies most certainly are defined by the weight and stiffness), but in theory the interface of the body/bridge and body/neck and the pickguard/strap-buttons etc should also be a major cause of damping of the system.

Wood is a composite material...so it is makes sense for it to be a low 'quality factor' material and be quite variable in its material properties.

edit: I sound like a cock :ROTF:
        Last edited by KMud; 10-14-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Do you guys find a difference when amped between the vintage trems and floyds?
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Yep, I have. And I don't think the tone difference is all that stupendous, as some others think. But, then again, those folks swear by the tone of the old Charvel brass vintage trems. So, again, it's all a matter of preferences. Your opinion may vary.

Comment

my jt6 charvel M4 sustains and resonates great, no problems what so ever

Comment

Working...
              X