Replacing the Licensed Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the Licensed Floyd?

I got an early 90's (1993-ish) Dinky Rev. Pro.
    1.) Is there a Floyd unit that will drop right in w/o having to modify the cavity?
    2.) Who makes the best (highest quality, stays in tune) Floyd unit? Is the Original Floyd the way to go?
    Thanks.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

1)I think Schallers or Floyd Rose II.

2)OFR officially, but the so-called "Schaller" Floyd are also very good, actually Schaller makes the OFR...
    '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
    '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
    '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '92 Fender Strat scallop
    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
    '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

I put a Floyd Rose II in my Dinky XL and the radius of the neck is just way off from the trem and I will be dropping the JT590 back in there.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
        I put a Floyd Rose II in my Dinky XL and the radius of the neck is just way off from the trem and I will be dropping the JT590 back in there.
        That's weird, because a JT590 is a Schaller which is the same as a Floyd Rose II. You could shim the saddles to make it to your liking, though.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought of that. Hours of shimming to get it right, if I can get it just right, and I am still left with a Gold Plated trem that my sweaty ass hand will eat up in no time. I never had a problem with the original JT590 so it is going back it. I was just going for a diffrent look. I got a cheapy Jackson trem off ebay I will be stealing parts off to get it back to normal. Then I will be ebaying the Floyd Rose II.

Matt

Comment

I

I put a Schaller on my Reverse...love it!

Comment

So the Schaller fits, huh? What is the size that fits the Dinky Reverse?

Comment

Depends the dinky reverse's came with a 590 or the 580 LP. The 94 models had a different route for the 580 LP but the 590 can be used in the later routes it just leaves a little gap.
                IMO the 590 is a great trem hell the 580 LP is a kick ass trem too.If you are having tuning stability problems try putting in some new trem springs.Also check to make sure the knife edges are sharp and not nicked and that the nut is tight.Jackson badged Schallers are great units.
                Last edited by straycat; 10-15-2008, 12:34 AM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                  I thought of that. Hours of shimming to get it right, if I can get it just right, and I am still left with a Gold Plated trem that my sweaty ass hand will eat up in no time. I never had a problem with the original JT590 so it is going back it. I was just going for a diffrent look. I got a cheapy Jackson trem off ebay I will be stealing parts off to get it back to normal. Then I will be ebaying the Floyd Rose II.

Matt
                  This is indeed strange, don't you have a radius gauge? You can measure the radius of the fingerboard and then shim the Floyd until you get the exactly curvature you need, I never heard that people experienced problems shimming a Floyd, besides that, of course, it is time cunsuming.

P.S.AFAIK unshimmed the Floyd II should have a radius of 16" without shims, therefore if you're using on a Soloist, for instance, it should be OK.
                  '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                  '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                  '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                  '92 Fender Strat scallop
                  '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                  '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

I just replaced my 580 with the Gotoh and it's the dogs balls - really good and just pisses all over the 580. I did lots of looking around here and other forums for opinions on the OFR, Schaller and Gotoh. An interview with John Suhr swung me to the Gotoh. I'll post the links if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptHowdy View Post
                      I just replaced my 580 with the Gotoh and it's the dogs balls - really good and just pisses all over the 580. I did lots of looking around here and other forums for opinions on the OFR, Schaller and Gotoh. An interview with John Suhr swung me to the Gotoh. I'll post the links if you want.
                      Yeah, post the link. That'd be an interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                        Yeah, post the link. That'd be an interesting read.

Here ya go. Sorry it's taken so long mate.

The original thread was started in Jan 07 but Suhr is still using the gotohs.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc.../t-312436.html

http://www.suhrguitars.com/bridges.aspx#Floyd

http://www.online-discussion.com/Suh...a1998a0bc87150

Comment

Working...
                        X