Dead, dead, dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead, dead, dead!

O.K. still pretty new on the forum after just buying a dkmg and I have a question. As soon as I put brand new strings on the guitar, they go dead in a matter of hours and its pissing me off. It sounds like I'm constantly palm muting. By the way, I play ernie ball super slinkys. Does anyone know what the solution may be.
    -Dan

I have never encountered strings going dead that quickly.Maybe you have a grounding issue with the electronics.Are you losing volume causing a dead reaction?
    Perhaps the input jack is not seated properly in the guitar.Could be a bad input cable.
    Is the lock nut tight on the neck?The locking pads tight?
    Now don't go and blow me off and tell me I don't know shit I have been working on guitars a long time and have seen some freaky stuff.
    Quite possible that there is a cold solder joint somewhere.Check all connections.
    Last edited by straycat; 10-12-2008, 08:38 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Could be a loose connection on the battery terminals. check those. or replace the battery and see if that fixes it. Also make sure the strings are sitting properly in the saddle and not off to one side of it on the square edge of the saddle. That can cause a string to sound dead.
      Gil

Comment

Good point JF very true.Dan you are cutting the ball end off the string before putting it the saddle and locking it down right?I had a customer that took the blocks out and put the whole ball end and tightened the string lock screw on the ball end and yes the guitar sounded like canned ass.
        When installing the strings make sure they break across the saddle dead center.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i string my floyds backwards,and leave the ball on the string,wrapping it around the peg.....no reason..i just like it that way.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I do string them backwards so I dont use the ball end. I replaced the nine volt battery but to no avail. I think that its acoustically dead because I'm not even plugged in and the strings themselves are dead. They are sitting perfectly in the center of the saddle too.
            -Dan

Comment

you probably already tried this, but maybe clean the strings real good after they start sounding dead and see what happens.

Comment

Such a strange thing. Are you taking all the strings off when you re-string? Is the neck twisted somehow? Only thing I can think is that you're relieving tension perhaps, and then re-stringing, and the neck bows back to it's "under tension" shape, and perhaps that's hitting a fret? Hitting on something?

You're using EMG's so no magnet issue....

This is a tougie. I've never heard of strings going dead like that. You could try DR HiBeams. They're so insanely bright, if they go dead in a couple hours, you'll know for sure there's a major issue.

Vass

Comment

Maybe you just have very acidic sweat and it's causing your strings to go dead quick.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

alright, I will try dr highbeams and if they dont work, i'm screwed. I dont sweat when I play
                    -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Maybe you just have very acidic sweat and it's causing your strings to go dead quick.
                      If the strings are dead in a matter of hours, and it's a problem of sweat acidity, this means that our friend is the alien from the Alien franchise...

Personally I think there's a problem with the battery, expecially if he didn't experience the same problem with other guitars.
                      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                      '92 Fender Strat scallop
                      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

well he did say he already changed the battery... i think its the strings, but EB always sound dead to me anyway

Comment

honestly, it sounds like your action is too low and the strings are just sitting on the fretboard especially as they stretch and go flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                            honestly, it sounds like your action is too low and the strings are just sitting on the fretboard especially as they stretch and go flat.
                            That could very well may be the problem and i will try the dr highbeams to see if it makes any difference
                            -Dan

Comment

The guitar has a trem, right (pardon me if I just said something stupid - I'm still learning models, etc.)? Do the strings go dead faster after using the trem?

In any case, perhaps check and make sure everything's ok with the trem - including the studs.

I remember reading in a post (somewhere) that someone had all kinds of mystery havoc, and finally traced it to an ever-so-slightly loose trem stud. Once that was fixed, everything did as it should. I'm not saying this is your problem - but you've explored the obvious, now it's time to start looking at the odd (insert X-Files theme here...)
                              WarPig____________________________________________
                              "Live every day as if it were your last...
                              ...one day it will be."

Comment

Working...
                              X