Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone familiar with the peavey mace vt head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone familiar with the peavey mace vt head??

i've seen one at the local music store. price tag was 275. i took a look at it and it was missing two tubes. i told the guy about em and he said "i never noticed that" so of course i'm like " man this things been in here for at least a year, what can you do for me?" he said i'll give you two matching 6l6's to make it complete and let you walk it out for $150. is this thing worth it? he didnt have a cab so i couldnt try it out, but offered to let me take it home for a few days. what do you think?

All i know it "EVERY" Peavey product, is good quality.. sounds like it's
    a steal at that price. Ive never had a sub par Peavey anything...
    Their quality control and build quality is top notch.

Comment

apparently its the same head skynard uses...did i spell that right......and i think he still uses it. i dont care too much for the southern rock sound, but i'm sure an MT-2 or somethin of the sort could make it killer. 160 watts of tube power, yeah i might go ahead and get it. thats less than a dollar a watt probably gonna get it serviced just to be sure its in prime condition.

Comment

I have owned Peavey Classic 2x12 and 4x10 combos, the old versions with solid state preamps and 6L6 power sections, which are from the same era as the Mace. Yes, you'll need to run something in front of it for high gain tones, but those amps are great in my experience.
        sigpic

Comment

Skynyrd were using JSXs and XXXs when I saw them in 2005, but yeah, they've used Peavey amps forever. If you get your high-gain tones from a pedal or preamp you will have a good-sounding tube-powered amp that is loud as hell, cheap and rugged.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I think I recall hearing that the band Molly Hatchett used that amp

Comment

yeah i noticed the main out was 8 ohm and the secondary was 4 ohms. seems kinda wierd, wouldnt that make it a 6 ohm load. why is that. did they use a 4-12 and a 2-12 back in the day or somethin?

Comment

Gary Rossington used to use those forever. Not sure if he still does.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                  yeah i noticed the main out was 8 ohm and the secondary was 4 ohms. seems kinda wierd, wouldnt that make it a 6 ohm load. why is that. did they use a 4-12 and a 2-12 back in the day or somethin?
                  They probably want you to use both speaker outs together (both 8-ohm loads) then you'll get 4 ohms.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    They probably want you to use both speaker outs together (both 8-ohm loads) then you'll get 4 ohms.
                    thats what i was thinkin but i dont wanna hook it up wrong and mess up the head or speakers. i'm just gonna pass on it.

Comment

I used to have one of the 2x12 combos - heavy! It had a lot of issues with overheating the solder joints, the foot pedal had issues, etc. and I'm pretty easy on my gear in general. Also, the preamp sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard if you try to get any distortion out of it, and the clean is ok but not great. A good pedal out from would be fine, but you couldn't push the preamp, like a good tube preamp. It worked best as a glorified power amp for a rack preamp...but at $275 you could probably find something better sounding, smaller, and more reliable on the 2nd hand market. (The last Mace head I saw was priced at $99 and sat for months...but then everything sat forever at that particular store.)

Comment

I had a Mace head when I was much younger. It was a big step up for me at the time. was very happy with the amp. Then Ratt came out and I had to have Laney. But I kept the Mace for solos and A/B the amps. I had considered picking up another head on the cheap for a back up.
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

yeah i talked the guy down to 125 and picked it up. although the 2nd input doesnt work, i'm fine with using input one and puttin my MT2 infront and my extras in the loop. sounds pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                          X