Volume Output Low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Output Low?

Alright, I've had this Schecter S-1 for quite sometime now. Recently the volume has been shorting out, or maybe it's the toggle switch, I'm not entirely sure. THIS GUITAR DOES HAVE A PICKUP SPLITTER if it matters.

Everytime it goes out, I have to pretty sure slam the toggle into its treble or rhythm selection to get the output back up to normal.

I was wondering if someone has any thoughts on what could be wrong? I opened the back cavity up, and no wires seem to be stripped or cut, or un soldered. Any help would be appreciated for a noob.

Thanks
    sigpic

Also, it could be a problem with the pots I heard??? Everything is stock, but these are very well made guitars.
    sigpic

Comment

It's the switch. Just replace it with a better quality switch like a switch craft. Problem solved.
      Gil

Comment

The fact that messing with the switch corrects the problem makes me think it's the switch. Could be corrosion on the contacts or just a bum switch. Try cleaning it w/contact cleaner. If that doesn't fix the problem, try a new switch.

edit- typing while Gil was posting. I agree. Probably worth it just to put a better switch in. Cleaning might do the trick though.
        Last edited by dg; 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I'll give cleaning it a shot.
          sigpic

Comment

dg has the correct answer. This has even happened on SL2H's. Do a search - there is a recent thread.

Comment

Yep, the contacts on the switch collect crud and corrosion even though they are sealed up inside the guitar. Contact cleaner can fix it of some high grit sandpaper will clean off the crud.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                Yep, the contacts on the switch collect crud and corrosion even though they are sealed up inside the guitar. Contact cleaner can fix it of some high grit sandpaper will clean off the crud.
                Are you talking about the underside of the switch itself, or the two metal contact poles on both sides of the 3 three-way (what the name for those two metal tip pieces)?? If its the uderside of the toggle switch, I can't reach it, so how do I clean it? Am i required to remove the entire switch?
                sigpic

Comment

It's the contact pieces. When you work the switch you will see where it makes the contacts.

Comment

Working...
                  X