Flatwounds with tremolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatwounds with tremolo?

I reckon there's enough musical diversity and knowledge on this forum to answer this: are flatwounds a bad idea with a tremolo? I picked up a cheap 7-string Epiphone Les Paul and am really digging the clean tones, but I miss my tremolo opportunities. I got it cheap enough that getting it professionally routed is somewhat appealing.

If flatwounds and tremolos is doable, would there be any advantage/disadvantage in Kahler/Floyd Rose? I've never played a Kahler, but I'm assuming the Kahler saddles are a bit more friendly to a flatwound string than the Floyd string-locks.

I'm somewhat tempted to de-fret it too...

Not sure, but you'll need a 7 string trem (I assume you knew this). That will be dumping a lot of cash into this guitar.

Comment

I'm using Flatwound Pyramids on my Fender Jaguar to get that Ventures sound. The tone is dead on the money. Never had problems. I also have flatwounds on my Gretsch's with Bigsby Trems. Now, if using a Floyd and dive bombing, I couldn't tell you. A Kahler setup should be fine for sure.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I'm not afraid of spending money on the guitar or mutilating it. When I got it it had a 707 in the bridge and a standard humbucker in the neck, and upon investigating the 707 the routing job is poor. I received a 707TW today that I'll fit in the neck.

I'm loving the flatwounds so much I'm tempted to put some on my SL1 (at least to try it out).

Comment

try the flatwounded in the SL1 and see by yourself if they work, I think the worst thing that may happen is that they slip and they don't stay in tune...
          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

My fear is that the stress concentration at the string block will break the helix and it'll unravel the string. Anyhow, I'll give it a go

Comment

You may need to crimp the ends before you cut them to keep the tape from unwinding.

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
                My fear is that the stress concentration at the string block will break the helix and it'll unravel the string. Anyhow, I'll give it a go
                Stress concentration?Mechanical engineer?

Anyway, the nut is not solicitated at fatigue therefore until you stay under the yielding stress of the screw everythign will be allright.
                '92 Fender Strat scallop
                '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
                  Stress concentration?Mechanical engineer?

Anyway, the nut is not solicitated at fatigue therefore until you stay under the yielding stress of the screw everythign will be allright.
                  Well the nut and string blocks are nodal, but with 10-15lbs clamped on the windings I wasn't 100% confident about the local stress...

...and yes, I'm MEng, going on EngD

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
                    Well the nut and string blocks are nodal, but with 10-15lbs clamped on the windings I wasn't 100% confident about the local stress...

...and yes, I'm MEng, going on EngD
                    I noticed that, I'm the equivalent of a Msc,...used to be a Mphil, long time ago, in a galaxy far away, in London...
                    '92 Fender Strat scallop
                    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich

Comment

Working...
                    X