Floyd Rose doesn't return to pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose doesn't return to pitch

Did search as I thought this would've been covered but had no luck with the results. I've got a Kramer Sustainer (1989) and the OFR no longer returns to pitch properly. Diving causes it to be about a semitone flatter than pulling up, so it's obviously not acceptable. I'm fairly ignorant about major Floyd Rose repair/maintenance, so tell me (if possible from my admittedly vague diagnostic) which bits of the Floyd are likely the culprit?

Is there any maintenance I should be doing on my SL1 to avoid the same thing happening?

It could be the springs or the posts. New posts or springs sometimes help.
    Also, it's gotta 'float' just right. Most people like them to float level with the body.
    Sometimes taking it out and putting it back fixes it. I adjust used ones for days to get them right.

Don't worry, there are experts on this site that will provide details.
    JvicE

Comment

I'd say springs need tightened down a little bit.

Comment

Tremsetter might help if you are willing to sacrifice flutters.

Comment

Tighten the springs a touch, make sure the posts aren't moving or have any flat spots at the pivot points and last thing is to check the knife edges on the base plate. Look for flat spots.
          -Rick

Comment

This happened to me on one of my guitars, my buddy said because my posts (if that's the right one) got dulled out over time so they no longer return properly.
            Originally posted by horns666
            The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

It's the knife edges and posts. C'mon, it's a 1989 Kramer! Of course it's been whammied to death!

Buy a new OFR and it'll be good as new.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

OFR's are pretty tough, esp. the older ones.
                I would try quantum hotsauce first, then new springs, then rotate the posts, then new posts, then stone the knife edges.
                All this prior to junking/replacing that OFR.
                But, If you do junk it, can I have it?
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks for the input all, I'll see how far I get down the path of least resistance fixes before it's fixed/I resort to a new Floyd. I've got a few spare springs I recently bought, so I'll try those first...

Comment

Working...
                  X