Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is prolly a really dumb question but......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is prolly a really dumb question but......

How do you intonate a guitar?

Benn playing since about 1984 and all I've ever done is just tune it up and go...never really got into the tekknikal (bad sp on purpose LOL) aspects of getting it right. Now I want to get it right.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Tune up to pitch using the 12th fret harmonic. Then fret the same note at the 12th fret. If the fretted note is sharp compared to the harmonic, then you move the saddle back (away from the neck, towards the back of the guitar) until the note is dead on. If the harmonic is flat compared to the fretted note, then you move the saddle foward (towards the nut).
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

And retune between each adjustment.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Let me join in with an equally dumb question: is it ok to move the saddle at full string tension or should one adjust only while the string is looses, then re-tighten to gauge the accuracy of the saddle move?

Comment

there is a tool out there that let's you do a OFR trem under tension.
          without the tool, it's best to have tension loose.
          it's hit or miss with a locking trem to some degree.
          just take your time
          tis a labor of love, after all!

Carefull how hard you fret that note at the 12th when you are comparing it against the harmonic.

Push too hard, and it's easy to go sharp.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

I'd just loosen all the strings anyway.
            If you're going to move it back, you'll need to loosen the string, or else the saddle won't move because you'll be trying to lengthen the string. If you move it forward, you'll be okay since you're shortening the string.

Comment

Thanks, guys, for the info. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I'd just loosen all the strings anyway.
                If you're going to move it back, you'll need to loosen the string, or else the saddle won't move because you'll be trying to lengthen the string. If you move it forward, you'll be okay since you're shortening the string.
                with a floating trem, much better to keep all other strings under tension, so the trem stays level.

<said with the upmost respect for your authoritar, btw>
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

With a floating trem, true, just loosen one at a time. With a fixed bridge, you can loosen them all at the same time.

Comment

Mmmmmmmm intonation. lol

Comment

Pick the 12th fret note almost as if you were playing, but not too rough. You'll figure it out real soon, it may take a couple tries.
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven

Comment

hmmm intonating a guitar seems like a PITA. I understand now why I never got into it. Which is why I just dropped my guitar off at Bill's Music in Baltimore......cuz I'm lazy and they do what's known as a Supertuning of the guitar...not just a setup....so 80 bux later I'll have my guitar back and ready to rock LOL.
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                          Pick the 12th fret note almost as if you were playing, but not too rough. You'll figure it out real soon, it may take a couple tries.
                          And also make sure the guitar is in playing position and not laying on a work bench or something. If you do it while it's on a work bench, the intonation will also be off a little.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            And also make sure the guitar is in playing position and not laying on a work bench or something. If you do it while it's on a work bench, the intonation will also be off a little.
                            Yeah good idea, or you could just pay $80 and have it done for you, and be done with it.
                            Chris Rock: "$80.00 my lord that's alot of money!"
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven

Comment

Hopefully the "super tune" includes more than an intonation.

What is the tool for intonating a FR under tension? It has to be my least favorite part of setting up a floyded guitar.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X