Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing pickups in my Model 5 but can I .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pickups in my Model 5 but can I .....

still use the factory mid-boost?

I am looking at changing out the pickups on my Model 5 to either a set of SD Blackouts or the KFK set of EMGs but was wondering if I could keep the mid-boost still. The pickups are not original and I would prefer to have either the stock electronics or a set of blackouts in it. I looked at the current wiring and the whomever installed the pickups did a hack job on the wiring.

Thanks
    -jason

yes, you just have to wire it properly
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You could probably still use the midboost with active pickups but remember th JE-1200 is designed to be used with passives. I have Blackouts in my Model 5 and I couldn't imagine needing extra output in any part of the frequency range. Plus it would probably chew through 9v batteries pretty fast.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
        yes, you just have to wire it properly
        Is proper wiring needed as to not let the magic smoke out that makes electronics work?

Comment

I guess I will just store the mid-boost and wire it up with just the Blackouts then if it is made more to work with passives. Just will have to be sure not to lose it. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

If you do go with the Blackouts set it will come with all new 50k ohm pots for volume and tone. The tone control on them actually works very well. To my ears at least it seems like it isn't just a high cut.

One thing to be aware of - I did have to ever so slightly ream out the holes for the pot shafts. My advice with the JE-1200 would be to remove it and keep all the pots wired up to it so that way if you decide to put it back in or if you one day decide to sell the guitar it's easy to put everything back in. I was in a rush and just kind of cut mine out and I think I'll have a hard time remembering what went where if I ever decide to use it again.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
            X