Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just order a Gotoh FR, should I order the nut as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just order a Gotoh FR, should I order the nut as well?

Went for a Gotoh FR to replace the JT580 in my Fusion SS (good enough for Suhr, good enough for me) but they don't come with a replacement locking nut. The existing nut looks and feels solid enough. Any thoughts on whether I should replace it anyway?

If you dont feel like it needs replacing I wouldnt worry

They should come standard witha 1 5/8th nut though...

Comment

The

Biggest problem you may run into is that the locking bolts on the backside may be too long and extend past the route in your body. Happened with both my Gotohs on my Jacksons...

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
        Biggest problem you may run into is that the locking bolts on the backside may be too long and extend past the route in your body. Happened with both my Gotohs on my Jacksons...
        Ok, so keep the exisiting nut but thanks for the heads up on the locking bolts. I think I remember that someone on the board had been having a similar problem (maybe it was you!) and was advised to get the shorter locking bolts from Allparts. Is that how you got around it?

Comment

It

It was me...but I sold the guitar before doing any mods to the Gotoh. Plus I had it blocked off for dive only, so it really didn't effect my use. But its a great unit...really nice quality piece.
          Originally posted by CaptHowdy View Post
          Ok, so keep the exisiting nut but thanks for the heads up on the locking bolts. I think I remember that someone on the board had been having a similar problem (maybe it was you!) and was advised to get the shorter locking bolts from Allparts. Is that how you got around it?

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
            It was me...but I sold the guitar before doing any mods to the Gotoh. Plus I had it blocked off for dive only, so it really didn't effect my use. But its a great unit...really nice quality piece.
            Good to know that you were happy with the Gotoh and I'm SO glad I didn't drop 170 sheets on the OFR, especially if schaller's QA is on the way down. I had a gander at the Allparts website and I think I've seen the shorter locking bolts on there so I don't reckon I'll be stuck.

Comment

Great units indeed. I have that issue with the gotoh on my guitar, aswell as the brass block being a bit to long and peaking through the rear cavity, but thats just rock and roll to me. Kind of like a supercharger for sustain popping up through the bonnet

Comment

I was hoping the brass block would give me more sustain than the one on the 580. The Gotoh should be here today - Can hardly wait to get it in (oops!)

If the existing posts have no 'play' in them, should I continue to use them or should I install posts that come with the gotoh?

Comment

If the posts are sturdy enough keep them you'd probably need to bore out the holes bigger for the gotoh ones they are pretty damm big...

Comment

I don't know what sort of state the existing posts are in but my wife just called to let me know that the Gotoh has arrived so I guess I'll find out tonight exactly what I'm dealing with. It'll be nice to have a trem that returns to tune wihtout having to hit it a slap.

Comment

when i bought my gotoh FR new it came with a nut and everything.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaptHowdy View Post
                        If the existing posts have no 'play' in them, should I continue to use them or should I install posts that come with the gotoh?
                        If the newer Gotoh posts fit, then use them. If you have a little play in the posts, just put some teflon plumber's (PTFE) tape on the threads and they won't move any longer.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          If the newer Gotoh posts fit, then use them. If you have a little play in the posts, just put some teflon plumber's (PTFE) tape on the threads and they won't move any longer.
                          Thats a good idea there! I'll have to remember that one.
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven
                          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

You could always order an OFR locking nut if you want a better fit. I found that the clamps have much less play on the OFR nuts than on most licensed versions.

Also, you don't have to buy new bolts if you just want them shorter. Just cut them down to size!

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                              You could always order an OFR locking nut if you want a better fit. I found that the clamps have much less play on the OFR nuts than on most licensed versions.

Also, you don't have to buy new bolts if you just want them shorter. Just cut them down to size!
                              That will work, but find a nut that fits the threads, and after you cut off the threads, unscrew the nut from the bolt, leaving nice clean threads for you to screw back into the saddles.
                              'Howling in shadows
                              Living in a lunar spell
                              He finds his heaven
                              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Working...
                              X