YAY! I am finally the Owner of a Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAY! I am finally the Owner of a Mark III

My red stripe was finally delivered today. (has R2 mod too )
    Thank god it came in one piece, and thankfully the seller knew how to package and amp (took out the tubes and wrapped them individually etc)
    I just ordered a tube set from Dougs tubes (the usual set he recommends) (it's got all Mesa tubes in it right now yuck)
    and a pair of Winged C 6L6s (I have fresh JJ EL34's that are going right in today)
    Pic from the Sellers auction (Ill post some up later)

first impressions are pretty good, I orderd a pair of pedals from Mesa during the week so those should be here on Thursday.
    I need to print out the manual as I'm not totally clear as to what adds gain, what adds volume etc. It's a loud Mofo , I'm running it thru my hotplate and it's still loud as well.
    Do any of you guys use a boost in front of the Lead channel?
    is it just as gainy in class A mode as it is in Simul Class?
    I'm giddy like a 5 year old on X-mas morning, I've been trying to score one of these for months.
    Last edited by kmanick; 09-27-2008, 08:58 PM.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

congratz! Its a great amp. It will take a while to sort it out. Balancing channels is the hardest part. I was only ever able to get 2 good channels.
    Its a fantastic amp bro. Yippeee!!!

Comment

nice scroe Nick...congratulaions.

Manual...you dont need no stinkin manual....just use your ears... not your eyes to tweak it to what your ears wanna hear
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

That's the old technology now. You were supposed to buy a Mark V. That probably won't do well with faster playing of modern day and need more memory for fluid playing.
        I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

1 of the greats. Congrats. Happy noodling!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
            nice scroe Nick...congratulaions.

Manual...you dont need no stinkin manual....just use your ears... not your eyes to tweak it to what your ears wanna hear
            LOL! I had lot's of trouble with Mesa's if I didn't follow some suggestive settings. It's easy to get a nasty tone and hard to find your way out.

Pedals? You buy an amp like that and then need to stick a pedal in front of it? Get a Boss Metal Zone

Comment

I love the Red stripes.
              I really hope the pedal in front of a Mark III was a joke, is you want to turn a great tone to shit use a pedel in front. There is plenty of gain on the Lead channel, R2 might be ok with one. But the Red stripe I played didn't have the R2 mod.
              Congrats on a great amp!

Comment

No joke, (I haven't tried it yet) but I know plenty of people that throw a clean boost in front of their 5150's,Rectos etc. I was just wondering if it was common practice with the Marks as well?
                I guess not

Comment

I have used one for about 15 years.These blow the Rectos waaay out of the water. Great amps. I think mine is a blue or purple stripe. I never use boost in front. I do however use another amp live for clean tones. Not that it won't do it, but you can get a great clean and dirty at the same time, so I used a Fender or Roland JC too...
                  H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Fooled around with this a bit tonight.
                    got some nice options here now

also did try a clean boost in front while turning the gain on the amp down to around 5. sounded pretty cool, I think the tubes in this thing are shot though, because unless I dime the gain on the lead channel , I'm not getting much fluid singing sustain (maybe my JSX has spoiled me) I found this to be the same with my Rectoverb, so with that amp I run the gain at around 1:30 -2:00 oclock and use a clean boost in front and it sounds great. I expected a lot more gain out of this thing than I'm getting though , so I'm guessing my tubes are probably pretty dead (I've got new ones on the way).
                    tonally I don't find it all that different from my Rectoverb , except that there's no fizz (at all) and it's a sharper sounding amp. It's still a lower mid voiced amp like the recto which is cool.
                    I can imagine cranked up this thing will sound killer.
                    so far so good.
                    Last edited by kmanick; 09-27-2008, 10:25 PM.

Comment

What you will find is no fizz, it has a very natural heavy distortion. Its not a super high gain amp but I gotta tell you.. nothing I have ever owned sounded better live than when I was in a 2 guitar band and I had a Mark III purple stripe and my bandmate was using a single rectifier. Our sound was just incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                        I just ordered a tube set from Dougs tubes (the usual set he recommends) (it's got all Mesa tubes in it right now yuck)
                        and a pair of Winged C 6L6s (I have fresh JJ EL34's that are going right in today)
                        I like the tube choice. The one I played I liked best with all Winged C 6L6, which are much better than Mesa 6L6 tubes. We also tryed it with EH EL34, and JJ KT77, All sounded great though.

Comment

Nick, are you going with the 2 6L6 and 2 EL34 combination? that helps it to make it more Marshall-like but I prefer all 6L6s.

btw. this is a cool tool for the settings http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/

here's some Metallica settings http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/metallica.html

this is the setting I use currently... I wouldn't use that much Hi's (with EQ) with other Marks but 300 series are also bass amps so they have ridiculous amounts of lows and mids.

Last edited by Endrik; 09-28-2008, 01:39 AM.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Man what a killer setup you've got there! This is the type of mesa I'd get along with very well imo

Comment

Endrick,
                              the manual says with the simul class red stripe I have to use El34's on the outside and 6L6's on the inside, so that's what I'going to go with.
                              Are there any sights with petruccis IIC+ settings laid out like this?
                              Last edited by kmanick; 09-29-2008, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X